In 2011 Steinke received his doctorate with a study of international criminal law on the political function of war crimes tribunals since 1945. The study, praised as a “masterpiece” by the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , was adapted as a book by Hart Publishing, Oxford.
Steinke then came to the Süddeutsche Zeitung , initially as an editor in the foreign policy department , where he wrote about international law and conducted research on Mozambique, Côte d'Ivoire, Jordan, Lebanon, Iran and Israel. Since 2017 he has been writing as the domestic political correspondent for the SZ based in Berlin, mainly on legal policy , security authorities and extremism .
In the 2012/13 winter semester , Steinke was a visiting scientist at the Fritz Bauer Institute on the History and Impact of the Holocaust ( Frankfurt am Main ). In October 2013 his biography “Fritz Bauer. Or: Auschwitz in front of a court ”, which became the basis for the award-winning film“ The State against Fritz Bauer ”.
In Cairo, New York and Berlin, Steinke researched the story of the Egyptian doctor Mohamed Helmy , who rescued Jews during the Nazi era. This resulted in the book “The Muslim and the Jewish Woman. The story of a rescue in Berlin ”. Yad Vashem named Helmy Righteous Among the Nations as the first Arab ever .
In July 2020 his book “Terror against Jews: How anti-Semitic violence grows and the state fails” was published. Steinke, himself Jewish, lists over a thousand anti-Semitic acts of violence in Germany since the Second World War. His book follows a variety of examples of how Jews are attacked, persecuted and murdered in Germany. The state, whose task it is to ensure the security of its citizens, fails in the fight against anti-Semitism and fails to protect its Jewish citizens.
- The Politics of International Criminal Justice. German Perspectives from Nuremberg to The Hague. Hart Publishing, Oxford 2012, ISBN 978-1-84946-313-3
- Fritz Bauer . Or: Auschwitz in court. With a foreword by Andreas Voßkuhle . Piper, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-492-30709-3 , also Japanese, Chinese, Polish and American editions
- The Muslim and the Jewess. The story of a rescue in Berlin . Berlin Verlag, Berlin 2017, ISBN 978-3-8270-1351-4 , also Dutch and Chinese editions
- Terror against Jews: How anti-Semitic violence grows and the state fails. Berlin Verlag , Berlin 2020, ISBN 978-3-8270-1425-2 .
- "Concise and uncommonly dense investigation ... detailed and opinionated" : Alexandra Kemmerer, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung v. June 30, 2012. “Convincing and important, precisely because it relativizes an overly idealistic and idealizing view of the development of international criminal law ... with good reason”: Eckart Conze , Historische Zeitschrift , Vol. 297, 2013. “A very worthy and stimulating contribution to an overlooked subject ": Steven C. Roach, Political Studies Review , Vol. 11, No. 3.
- "Captivating": Neue Zürcher Zeitung v. October 5, 2013. “Impressive (...). Steinke not only paints the one-sided picture of a courageous hero who goes against the zeitgeist. It also reveals its weaknesses ”: Deutschlandradio Kultur , November 3, 2013. “ A similarly accessible, gripping and intellectually stimulating biography is hard to find. It should be the ideal gift for future lawyers for years to come ” : Boris Burghardt, Journal der Juristische Zeitgeschichte 2017, 15–26.
- Ronen Steinke, How a Muslim saved a Jew from the Nazis , Süddeutsche Zeitung v. January 10, 2015.
- "Seldom have the Nazis been duped so often and almost like a movie - and rarely are you so tempted to clap your hands liberated at the end of a serious book" : Christian Schmidt-Häuer, Die Zeit v. August 24, 2017. “Sensitive and moving” : Johannes C. Bockenheimer, Der Tagesspiegel v. October 19, 2017. “A captivating story with a feel for historical detail” : Ozan Keskinkilic, qantara.de, October 16, 2017.
- This is how the state fails in the fight against anti-Semitism. In: BR24 , July 6, 2020.
- Threat and State Failure. In: Jüdische Allgemeine , July 2, 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist and book author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1983|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||gain|