The term Southern Africa ( English Southern Africa ), also southern Africa , refers to the southern part of the African continent. It belongs to sub-Saharan Africa . The exact demarcation to the north is unclear and is made differently in different subject areas.
Unlike North , West , East and Central Africa , with South Africa (English South Africa usually not meant) a region, but the state of South Africa. That is why the region of Southern Africa is used to distinguish it . However, there is the Central African Republic in Central Africa.
Southern Africa (overview)
|country||Defined as Southern Africa according to ...|
|UN / ECA||UNODC||SADC||SACU||ZSSA||COSAFA|
|Countries total||5||14th||11||11||15th||5||5||14 + 1|
Definition of terms
The use of the term is by no means uniform within the United Nations.
In the statistics department of the UN, the following five countries are listed under the Southern Africa Statistics District : Botswana , Lesotho , Namibia , South Africa and Swaziland . These countries also form the Customs Union of Southern Africa (SACU).
Under the responsibility of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights ( United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights ), the region is Southern Africa together from 14 countries. The Regional Office for Southern Africa (ROSA), which reports to him, deals with matters in the states of Angola , Botswana, Comoros , Lesotho, Madagascar , Malawi , Mauritius , Mozambique , Namibia, Zambia , Seychelles , Zimbabwe , South Africa and Swaziland.
The work of the UN Economic Commission for Africa with its Office for Southern Africa of the Economic Commission for Africa extends to 11 countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe , South Africa and Swaziland.
The mandate ( UNODC Southern Africa Mandate ) for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) covers eleven states. These are Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Swaziland.
Southern Africa Development Community
In Gaborone based Development Community of Southern Africa ( Southern African Development Community , SADC) has 15 Member States: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Seychelles, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Swaziland and Tanzania.
- The Zoological Society of Southern Africa defines the term within its field of activity as the area south of the line given by the course of the Zambezi and Kunene rivers .
- The Council of Southern Africa Football Associations includes all African countries south of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Tanzania.
- INISA - Southern Africa Initiative (Berlin / Bonn)
- issa - Southern Africa Information Center (Bonn)
- SADC - Southern African Development Community
- SACU - Southern African Customs Union
- SADOCC - Documentation and Cooperation Center Southern Africa (Vienna)
- Self-sufficiency for industry and commerce in southern Africa. Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, March 21, 2019.
- Klaus Frhr. von der Ropp: The Development Community in Southern Africa (SADC) - Utopia or future reality? In: Development cooperation in culture, law and economy , pp. 211–227.
- Official website of the German Teachers' Association in Southern Africa. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- United Nations Statistics Division - Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications (English)
- United Nations: Regional Office for Southern Africa.
- United Nations: Office for Southern Africa of the Economic Commission for Africa
- United Nations: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime , accessed September 22, 2013.
- Southern African Development Community: Member states. on www.sadc.int ( Memento from July 8, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Website of the Zoological Society of Southern Africa (English)