Santa Catarina (Lisbon)
|Sub-region :||Lisbon metropolitan area|
|Coordinates :||38 ° 43 ′ N , 9 ° 9 ′ W|
|Residents:||3751 (as of June 30, 2011)|
|Surface:||21 ha (as of January 1, 2010)|
|Population density :||17,862 inhabitants per km²|
|Mayoress :||Maria Irene dos Santos Lopes (2009-2013)|
|Address of the municipal administration:||Junta de Freguesia de Santa Catarina
Largo Dr. António de Sousa Macedo, 7
Santa Catarina is a district and a former Portuguese municipality ( Freguesia ) in the 1st Bairro of the capital Lisbon . In 2013, as part of an administrative reform, the municipalities of São Paulo , Encarnação , Santa Catarina and Mercês became the new municipality of Misericórdia .
The hilly place is surrounded by the districts of São Paulo, Lapa , Mercês and Encarnação. With parts of the latter it forms the famous Bairro Alto . From here it drops sharply towards the banks of the Tejo . Santa Catarina is characterized by narrow, sometimes steep streets. The most important artery for car traffic is the Calçada do Combro. Coming from the "Praça Luis de Camões" direction, it leads to the São Bento parliament building .
Santa Catarina was created on October 9, 1559 from parts of the parishes of Loreto (now Encarnação) and Mártires . It formerly stretched from the Príncipe Real district to the banks of the Tejo and was one of the largest and most populous municipalities in the city in terms of area until the middle of the 20th century. The district reform of 1959 gave the municipality its shape, which it retained until its dissolution in 2013.
In the local elections in 2005, the parties for the election of the local parliament achieved the following percentages:
|Political party||Voting shares (%)||Seats|
|CDU election alliance of the PCP and the Greens||14.06||1|
The president of the Junta de Freguesia is Maria Irene dos Santos Lopes from the Socialists (PS).
Sights and public facilities
- Conservatório Nacional - state music school
- Igreja de Santa Catarina - the most important church in the municipality from 1679
- Palácio Pombal - Birthplace of the Marquis de Pombal
- Miradouro de Santa Catarina
- Museu da Farmácia - Pharmacy Museum
- ↑ www.ine.pt - indicator resident population by place of residence and sex; Decennial in the database of the Instituto Nacional de Estatística
- ↑ Overview of code assignments from Freguesias on epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu
- Map of the Freguesia Santa Catarina at the Instituto Geográfico do Exército