He received his education at the Glasgow School of Art . He then worked at museums and galleries in Scotland as a photographer documenting the collections and exhibitions. Since 2005 he has lived in Berlin and Glasgow .
Starling works in conceptual art . He is interested in material properties, contextualizations and the idea of efficiency in the sense of cycle efficiency .
This concept led u. a. 2004 on his work Tabernas Desert Run , for which he rode 66 kilometers through the Tabernas desert on a bicycle powered by a hydrogen energy cell . The only emission left on this tour was water, which he used to paint a cactus in water color that he had discovered on the way. Taberna's Desert Run was part of the Turner Prize exhibition.
With Shedboatshed (Mobile Architecture No 2) , Starling received media attention in 2005. From a wooden shed he built a boat with which he drove down the Rhine to Basel, where he reconstructed the wooden shed from the boat in the museum.
In One Ton, II in 2005 he addressed the energy expenditure and mass conversion that lead to the production of platinum . Starling showed five identical hand-made photo prints from an ore mine in South Africa, coated with platinum crystals. 0.28 grams of platinum are extracted from ten tons of ore.
In 2007 he reconstructed an exhibition room from the early 1930s for the Folkwang Museum in Essen based on photographs by Albert Renger-Patzsch and furnished it with the original exhibits or with true-to-original photographic reproductions ( replicas ).
In the Brazilian Centro de Arte Contemporânea Inhotim in Brumadinho in the state of Minas Gerais , he erected a memorial against the overexploitation taking place here . A mahogany ship floating on a mast above a sea of flowers is intended to remind of the almost extinct mahogany tree.
In 2010 Starling shot the 25-minute film Project for a Masquerade in Japan . (Hiroshima) , which was shown by the Städel Museum in June 2013 in the study gallery 1.357 in the IG high-rise on the Westend campus of the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main .
- 2014: Project Gallery: Simon Starling. Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) .
- 2014: Simon Starling: Metamorphology. , Museum of Contemporary Art (Chicago) .
- Simon Starling on kunstaspekte.de
- The Modern Institute: Simon Starling
- Turner Prize 2005: Simon Starling
- Guggenheim Collection: Simon Starling
- Guardian interview (12/2005)
- frieze review (10/2005)
- Museum page on the exhibition , accessed on May 10, 2014.
- Museum page on the exhibition ( Memento of the original from April 16, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed April 28, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Epsom , Surrey / GB|