Streaming client providers include a. RealNetworks (formerly Progressive Networks ), Microsoft and Apple . Streaming clients are also being developed in the open source community, for example in the Helix , LScube , VideoLAN and Catra Streaming Platform projects .
Complete multimedia solutions
- Elisa: Mediacenter for Linux
- Geexbox : TV, music, DVD etc. (Live CD)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition : contains a so-called Electronic Program Guide (EPG), enables the reception of television and radio channels, the playback of music files and the display of digital photos or videos, integrates the paid Internet video service CinemaNow for streaming videos and Movielink for movie downloads.
- MythTV : Digital TV, music, DVD, games etc. Based on a Linux computer that you can use e.g. B. connects to the television.
Commercial providers of streaming clients
- Apple : QuickTime Player , iTunes ( Windows , macOS )
- RealNetworks : RealPlayer ( Windows , macOS , Linux )
- Microsoft : Windows Media Player ( Windows , macOS )
- Nullsoft : Winamp ( Windows )
Available for all Java- enabled systems are e.g. B. the FlexPlayer, which support the audio formats Ogg and MP3 as well as the MPEG 1 video format. They can be integrated into a website as an applet .
There are also some commercial clients that are only available free of charge in functionally reduced versions:
- Liquid Audio : Liquid Player , a client for streaming and download offers with grabber and CD burning software
- Microsoft : Windows Media Player (Windows), the company InterVideo has licensed parts of the Windows Media technology from Microsoft and has ported the main components to GNU / Linux
Non-commercial streaming clients
- Helix Player (GNU / Linux, Solaris, Symbian) or Helix DNA Client : Support for Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora and H261 as well as streaming via RTSP
- Libnemesi, player framework for the LScube streaming project
- MPlayer (GNU / Linux, Windows, Mac OS X): Support for various free codecs as well as some proprietary Windows codecs such as Intel Indeo , MJPEG, ASF and ASV2 as well as WMV1, Sorenson v1 (SVQ1) and Real Player (RV20 / 30, Cook )
- No23 Recorder : Free recorder for recording Internet radio; supports the formats MP3, Ogg, WAV
- Screamer Radio (Windows 95 or higher ): Slim, fast freeware player
- S60 Internet radio : Free implementation of an Internet radio for the Symbian S60 platform.
- Totem Media Player - Gnome : Standard player using Xine or Gstreamer.
- VLC media player (cross platform)
- Xine : multimedia player that supports many standards.
The GStreamer framework serves as the basis for many players under Linux.
Various tools can record ( rip ) audio streams :
- ASF recorder
- Foobar2000 (Windows from 2000): Audio player with the option of saving HTTP streams in conjunction with the HTTP reader
- JetAudio : media player with the ability to save any sound source.
- Streambox VCR
- Total Recorder (Windows)
- VLC media player
Internet radios and Internet-enabled televisions
So-called internet radios or modern internet-enabled televisions can be used as streaming clients . Televisions that are not yet internet-enabled can be retrofitted with set-top boxes that play video and audio content from hard drives, DVD / Blu-ray discs or over the network. Modern televisions can also be expanded with HDMI sticks to receive streaming services.
Streaming media player
- Apple TV
- Ellion Digital
- Linn DS series
- Logitech Squeezebox
- Philips Streamium
- Pinnacle ShowCenter
- Space field
- Syabas Technology Popcorn Hour
- TEAC WAP devices
- WD TV Live
- Google Nexus Q
- Record articles on Internet radio
- List of streaming software
- Symbian S60 reference implementation of an internet radio