coat of arms
|21.96 km 2
21.52 km 2
0.44 km 2
|Residents||8,660 (Jan 1, 2018)|
|Important traffic route|
Swalmen ( Limburgish Zjwame ; pronounced "Schwame" with soft "sch") is a district of Roermond in the Dutch province of Limburg . Swalmen lies between the Maas and the German border that runs parallel to it; the German neighboring city is Brüggen .;
The place was mentioned in documents in the Middle Ages, in the 11th and 12th centuries as Sualmo , around 1200 as Sualmum and 1239 as Swalmene . Hillenraad Castle is located in the municipality where the Roermond Bishop Philipp Damian von Hoensbroech resided from 1775 to 1793 .
At the beginning of 2007, the municipality of Swalmen was incorporated into the neighboring town of Roermond . It had 8,790 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2006) and covered an area of 24.32 km² (of which 1.99 km² was water). In addition to the center of Swalmen (approx. 7,710 inhabitants), the community consisted of the villages Asselt (approx. 180 inhabitants) and Boukoul (approx. 970 inhabitants).
The incorporation was vehemently rejected by the great majority of Swalmen. It was feared that the incorporated population would be disadvantaged in the future by the decision-making bodies of the city, which is much larger with around 45,000 inhabitants.
In the Netherlands, it is not the municipalities themselves who decide on municipal reforms, but the “Eerste Kamer” of the Dutch parliament. The merger was passed in September 2006 by 35 against 34 senators with a majority of one vote, six senators were absent.
The decision made was commented on with humor by Swalmen: At the beginning of 2007, at the entrance to Roermond from the direction of Swalmen, there was an official-looking place-name sign with the name "Swalmen-Süd" for a long time.
Distribution of seats in the municipal council
Until the municipality was dissolved, the following distribution of seats had been made since 1982:
|Swalmer Signaal a||2||2||-||-||-||-|
|Lijst notes c||1||-||-||-||-||-|
sons and daughters of the town
- Mathieu Cordang (1869–1942), racing cyclist
- Han Noten (* 1958), politician
- Jacques Benders (1924–2017), mathematician
- Ben van Dael (* 1965), football coach
- Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2018 Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek , accessed on August 25, 2018 (Dutch)
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek , accessed on 25 August 2018 (Dutch)
- Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2004–2008 Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek , accessed on August 25, 2018 (Dutch)
- seats in the municipal council , accessed on August 25, 2018 (Dutch)