Elmayer dance school
Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg GmbH
The Elmayer dance school was opened on November 19, 1919 in the former stables of Palais Pallavicini at Bräunerstrasse 13 in the 1st district of Vienna . The founder was the former kuk Rittmeister Willibald "Willy" Elmayer-Vestenbrugg (* May 27, 1885, † November 7, 1966, son of the kuk Feldmarschallleutnant Ludwig Elmayer, who on January 21, 1908 as "Edler von Vestenbrugg" was raised to the nobility had been).
Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg was a graduate of the Theresian Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt and was retired in 1905 as a lieutenant in the kuk Dragoon Regiment Emperor Franz No. 1 . After the First World War he was adjutant of the former colonel of the kuk Generalstabskorps Theodor Körner . Körner later became General of the Armed Forces, Mayor of Vienna and second Federal President of the Second Republic . In the Second World War, Elmayer-Vestenbrugg joined the Wehrmacht . In 1944 he was retired as a lieutenant colonel.
Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg, who remained childless, ran the dance school until his death in 1966. During this time, he managed to establish the institute as a “school for ballroom dancing and good behavior”. Hundreds of thousands of copies of his books Early Exercise ... , Good Behavior Asked Again and From Saddle to Dance Floor have been sold.
When Nora and Diether Schäfer-Elmayer with director Robert Hysek took over the management of the dance school, the Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg Ges.mbH dance school was founded on July 14, 1967 . After management functions in Basel , South Africa and Bonn , the economist Thomas Schäfer-Elmayer joined the family company in 1987 and took the place of his parents. Since 1988, Schäfer-Elmayer, following the will of the (adoptive) grandfather Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg, has been the successor and sole manager of the dance school Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg Ges.mbH. After Robert Hysek, Rudolf Peschke has been director of the dance school since 1993.
Since its premiere in 1935, it has been particularly closely connected to the Vienna Opera Ball, as Lieutenant Colonel Elmayer, the founder of the dance school, helped organize its premiere in 1935 and directed the opening of the newly built State Opera Responsible for opening by the youth committee. The rehearsal for the opening of the Vienna Corporations Ball was ended by the Elmayer dance school after a reference by the Jewish community to right-wing extremist tendencies at the “WKR Ball” in 2008. The Hofburg Ball "Elmayer-Kränzchen" of the Elmayer dance school with 3000 guests has been closing the ball season on Shrove Tuesday at midnight since 1920.
The Elmayer Dance School teaches the world dance program in bronze, silver and gold as well as Gold Star / Elmayer Cercle.
Correct behavior is particularly important in the courses. For example, at the end of the dance class, men say goodbye to their dance partner with a kiss on the hand . In addition to the dance courses, the dance school also offers etiquette courses .
There is a strict dress code compared to other dance schools. For men, suits or jackets with matching trousers, shirts with ties or knits and white twisted gloves are compulsory in the youth courses. A dress, skirt and blouse or a trouser suit are required for women.
The dance school leads one Viennese waltz, three Latin and one standard formation, which dance at various balls, celebrations, openings or midnight performances.
- Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg: Good behavior in demand again: a contemporary guide for HER and HIM,
Paul Zsolnay Verlag, 1957
- Harald D. Gröller: The Elmayer. Good behavior through the ages . In: Tamás Lichtmann (ed.): New reflections on literary studies in cultural studies (= Német filológiai tanulmányok; A Debreceni Egyetem Germanisztikai Intézetének . Volume 28 ). Kossuth Egyetemi Kiadó, Debrecen 2007, DNB 990852415 , p. 361-374 .
- Willy Elmayer: From the saddle to the dance floor: the life story of my grandfather Willy Elmayer . Ed .: Thomas Schäfer-Elmayer. Kremayr & Scheriau , Vienna 2014, ISBN 978-3-218-00910-2 ( limited preview in the Google book search).
- firmenabc.at: Willy Elmayer-Vestenbrugg Ges.mbH dance school . Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- Radio Vienna : Schäfer-Elmayer bei Ludwig , 2006. Accessed on October 23, 2013.
- Buch am Zug: Thomas Schäfer Elmayer , April 23, 2008. Accessed on May 6, 2010.
- Willy Elmayer: From the saddle to the dance floor: the life story of my grandfather Willy Elmayer . Ed .: Thomas Schäfer-Elmayer. Kremayr & Scheriau, Vienna 2014, ISBN 978-3-218-00910-2 .
- Christa Zöchling: loss of visitors and honor: the protests against the fraternity ball are having an effect. In: profil.at . January 21, 2014, accessed March 7, 2020 .