Vladimir Naumowitsch Wapnik
Vladimir Vapnik (in English transcription Vladimir Naumovich Vapnik , Russian Владимир Наумович Вапник , * 6. December 1936 ) is a Soviet-American mathematician and main developer of the support vector machine (with Alexei Yakovlevich Tscherwonenkis ) and an associated statistical learning theory (also Vapnis-Chervonenkis -Called theory).
Born in the Soviet Union , he completed his mathematics studies in 1958 at the Uzbek State University in Samarkand in what was then the Uzbek Soviet Socialist Republic . In 1964 he received a doctorate at the Institute for Automatic Control in Moscow with Alexander Jakowlewitsch Lerner , for whom he worked from 1961 to 1990, most recently as head of the institute. There he worked closely with Tscherwonenkis, who was later also at the Royal Holloway.
In 1990 he emigrated to the USA and began researching adaptive systems at the AT&T - Bell Laboratories in Holmdel , New Jersey . During his employment at AT&T, he and his colleagues developed the principle of the Support Vector Machine (SVM). From 2002 he was at the NEC research laboratory in Princeton , New Jersey, where he is currently researching machine learning . He has also been professor at Royal Holloway, University of London since 1995 and adjunct professor at Columbia University since 2003 .
In 2006 he became a member of the National Academy of Engineering . In 2008 he received the Paris Kanellakis Prize and in 2012 the Benjamin Franklin Medal . For 2017 he was awarded the John von Neumann Medal . For 2019 he was awarded the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in the field of computer science.
- with AJ Tscherwonenkis: On the Uniform Convergence of Relative Frequencies of Events to Their Probabilities . Theory of Probability and its Applications, Volume 16, 1974, pp. 264-280.
- with AJ Tscherwonenkis: Necessary and sufficient conditions for the uniform convergence of means to their expectations . Theory of Probability and its Applications, Volume 26, 1981, pp. 532-553
- with Tscherwonenkis: Theory of character recognition , Berlin: Akademie Verlag 1979
- The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory , 1995, 2nd edition Springer 2000
- Statistical Learning Theory , Wiley 1998.
- Estimation of Dependences Based on Empirical Data , Springer 1982, 2006
- Bernhard Schölkopf , Zhiyuan Luo, Vladimir Vovk (eds.): Empirical inference: Festschrift in honor of Vladimir N. Vapnik , Springer 2013
- Literature by and about Wladimir Naumowitsch Wapnik in the catalog of the German National Library
- Wapnik's homepage at NEC Corporation
- Wladimir Wapnik's homepage at the Computer Learning Research Center, Royal Holloway, University of London
- selected list of Wapnik's publications
- Institute of Control Science, later named after the long-time director VA Trapeznikov Institute of Control Science. Russian Институт проблем управления имени В. А. Трапезникова РАН
- Wladimir Naumowitsch Wapnik in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards 2019
|SURNAME||Wapnik, Vladimir Naumowitsch|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vapnik, Vladimir Naumovich; Вапник, Владимир Наумович (Russian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Soviet-American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 6, 1936|