|German title||2001 maniacs|
|Original title||2001 maniacs|
|Country of production||United States|
|Age rating||FSK 18|
Chris Kobin ,
Christopher Tuffin ,
Scott Spiegel ,
Eli Roth ,
Boaz Yakin ,
Brett W. Nemeroff
2001 Maniacs is a 2005 American film and a remake of Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964). It belongs to the splatter comedy genre and is an allusion to the earlier films by Herschell Gordon Lewis , all of which were famous for the display of violence.
The three college students Cory (Matthew Carey), Anderson (Jay Gillespie) and Nelson (Dylan Edrington) want to head south for spring break . A diversion sign takes you to the small 2001 community of souls in Pleasant Valley, which is currently celebrating an anniversary celebration for the American Civil War .
The southerners seem strange to the students from the north, and when another couple gets lost in town, it becomes clear that something is wrong. Cut off from the outside world, the strangers are dismembered one by one. Two students escape and call the police. In doing so, however, they have to discover that the tranquil Pleasant Valley is only a cemetery where a massacre of the Confederates 150 years ago is commemorated. A plaque in the cemetery reveals the curse that lies over the place: that the dead can only calm down until this crime is atoned for and 2001 Yankees are dead.
In the end, the last two survivors die from a trap of the inhabitants.
- The German version of the follow-up film was released on January 14, 2011 and is called 2001 Maniacs 2 - It is done .
- There is a comic based on this film that tells the story of the maniacs.
- Producer Eli Roth has a cameo as the crazy guy who throws a dead armadillo at the students' car .
- Starring Granny Boone, Lin Shaye is the younger sister of Robert Shaye , best known for producing the Nightmare on Elm Street and Lord of the Rings films.
- Kane Hodder can be seen as a villager , who played Jason Voorhees from the seventh part of the Friday the 13th series . In reference to Hodder's well-known role, his character is also called Jason in the credits.
“Bloody horror comedy as a remake and homage to the cult film ' 2000 Maniacs ' by Herschell Gordon Lewis, the founder of the splatter genre. The film follows the usual paths of the genre with moderate effects and a good portion of sex. "