Aluminum sodium sulfate
|Surname||Aluminum sodium sulfate|
|External identifiers / databases|
1.61 g cm −3 (dodecahydrate)
~ 60 ° C (dodecahydrate)
|As far as possible and customary, SI units are used. Unless otherwise noted, the data given apply to standard conditions .|
Aluminum sodium sulphate ( E 521 , sodium alum ) in the form of its dodecahydrate is an alum with the composition NaAl (SO 4 ) 2 · 12 H 2 O, which is used as a firming agent , acidifier and acid regulator .
The salt is irritating to the skin, eyes and mucous membranes and can cause eczema . It is suspected of causing allergic reactions and therefore frequent consumption is not recommended. In addition, it is suspected of causing Alzheimer's disease due to aluminum exposure of the body .
- Additives Online: E 521 - Aluminum Sodium Sulphate
- Entry on E 521: Aluminum sodium sulphate in the European database for food additives, accessed on June 27, 2020.
- Entry on SODIUM ALUM in the CosIng database of the EU Commission, accessed on February 12, 2020.
- David R. Lide: CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics A Ready-reference Book of Chemical and Physical Data . CRC Press, 1995, ISBN 978-0-8493-0595-5 , pp. 83 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
- This substance has either not yet been classified with regard to its hazardousness or a reliable and citable source has not yet been found.
- List of additives and E numbers. In: bll.de. Federation for Food Law and Food Science , accessed on March 4, 2017 .
- DC Ayres, D. Hellier: Dictionary of Environmentally Important Chemicals , 1998, CRC Press, ISBN 0-7514-0256-7 .
- Salzburg Chamber of Labor ( Memento from November 28, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF; 385 kB).