Andreas Benjamin Kilcher (born July 11, 1963 in Basel ) is a Swiss literary and cultural scientist .
Andreas Kilcher studied German, history and philosophy at the Universities of Basel and Munich . He was a doctoral candidate at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and a research assistant at the German Department of the University of Basel. In 1996 Kilcher received his doctorate with a dissertation on Kabbalah . In 2002 he completed his habilitation with an examination of the encyclopedia of literature from 1600 to 2000.
From 2004 to 2008 Kilcher held a chair for modern German literature at the University of Tübingen . Since 2008 he has been Professor of Literature and Cultural Studies at the ETH Zurich . He is a member of the Center for the History of Knowledge at ETH and the University of Zurich , of which he was director from 2014 to 2016. He is President of the Board of Trustees of the Thomas Mann Archives at ETH Zurich.
Kilcher was a co-founder and has been President of the European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism since 2013 and a repeated Fellow at the Center for Literary and Cultural Research in Berlin. He was visiting professor at Hebrew University, Princeton University, and Stanford University at the University of California , Davis, and Silverman Professor at the Cohn Institute, Tel Aviv University . Kilcher is a freelancer in the features section of the Neue Zürcher Zeitung .
Kilcher's work is on the one hand dedicated to the connection between literature and knowledge , which he shows in particular in the two subject areas of the encyclopedia and esotericism . With regard to esotericism, there are mainly works on Kabbalah and modern occultism . Second, his work deals with the history of Jewish literature and Jewish culture in Europe, especially in Germany. In an interview with the Neue Zürcher Zeitung , Kilcher describes his research areas as follows:
"Jewish literary and cultural history as well as the history of esotericism - as far as they are apart - are both research areas that have a marginal position in social and scientific validity. But even in this position outside of the canon of knowledge, they are fundamental: Jewish literature and Cultural history, in that it makes European culture in its plurality and transculturality comprehensible against homogenizing, even normative ideas, and esotericism, in that it places thinking on a broader basis, against the standard ideas of an empirical and technical concept of science , knowledge at the limits of religion , the myth and the unconscious. "
Kilcher - together with Karl Jürgen Skrodzki - edited letters from Else Lasker-Schüler for publication from volume 9 of the work editions . He also published Lasker-Schüler's newly found book of poems for Hugo in 2013 by Wallstein Verlag . Kilcher also researches Franz Kafka . Among other things, he wrote the basic biography of Kafka for Suhrkamp Verlag and reported in numerous articles between 2010 and 2019 on the process of Max Brod's and Kafka's estate.
- 1998: The language theory of Kabbalah as an aesthetic paradigm. The construction of an aesthetic Kabbalah since the early modern period . Metzler, Stuttgart, ISBN 3-476-01560-2 .
- 1999: The Magic Law of the Hebrew Language. Droste's " Judenbuche " and the late romantic discourse on Jewish magic . In: Journal for German Philology , pp. 234–265.
- 2003: mathesis and poiesis. The Encyclopedia of Literature 1600 to 2000 . Habilitation thesis. Fink, Paderborn, ISBN 3-7705-3820-X .
- 2004: Moses as a magician . In: Castrum Peregrini , issue 264/265, Amsterdam
- 2007: Joy shared. Schiller reception in Jewish modernity. With an edition of the Hebrew and Yiddish translations of the Ode to Joy . Lyrik Kabinett Foundation , Munich, ISBN 978-3-93877601-8 .
- 2008: Franz Kafka . Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main, ISBN 3-518-18228-5 .
- 2011: Max Frisch . Suhrkamp, Berlin, ISBN 978-3-518-18250-5 .
- 2013: Literature and Kabbalah. Jiří Langer and the importance of storytelling in Hasidism. In: Jiří Mordechai Langer : The nine gates. Secrets of the Hasidim . From the Czech a. with an afterword by Kristina Kallert, ed. by Andreas B. Kilcher. Pp. 315-363. Arco, Wuppertal / Vienna 2013, ISBN 978-3-938375-40-2 .
- 2014: Poétique et politique du Witz chez Heinrich Heine. Poetics and politics of wit in Heinrich Heine. Éditions de l'Éclat, Paris, ISBN 978-2-84162341-9 .
- 2016: German language culture in Palestine / Israel. History and Bibliography. Together with Eva Edelmann-Ohler. De Gruyter, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-11-044175-8 .
- 2000: Metzler Lexicon of German-Jewish Literature. Jewish authors in the German language from the Enlightenment to the present . Metzler, Stuttgart a. Weimar, ISBN 3-476-01682-X .
- 2003: Lexicon of German-Jewish Literature. Jewish authors in the German language from the Enlightenment to the present. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main, ISBN 3-518-45529-X .
- 2003: Metzler Lexicon of Jewish Philosophers. Philosophical thinking of Judaism from antiquity to the present . Together with Otfried Fraisse and Yossef Schwartz. Metzler, Stuttgart, ISBN 3-476-01707-9 .
- 2003: Anton Kuh : Jews and Germans. Löcker, Vienna, ISBN 3-85409-369-1 .
- 2006: Morning Glantz . Journal of the Christian Knorr von Rosenroth Society, No. 16. Lang, Bern a. a., ISBN 978-3-03911-163-3 .
- 2010: The encyclopedia of esotericism. Omniscient myths and universal scientific models in modern esotericism. Together with Philipp Theisohn. Fink, Paderborn, ISBN 978-3-7705-5070-8 .
- 2013: "Fencing schools and fantastic gardens": Law and literature. Together with Matthias Mahlmann , Daniel Müller Nielaba. VDF Hochschulverlag, Zurich, ISBN 978-3-7281-3352-6 .
- 2013: Jiří Mordechai Langer: The nine goals. Secrets of the Hasidim . From the Czech a. with an afterword by Kristina Kallert. Arco, Wuppertal / Vienna, ISBN 978-3-938375-40-2 .
- 2015: The Science of Judaism. An inventory. Together with Thomas Meyer. Fink, Paderborn, ISBN 978-3-7705-5784-4 .
- 2016: Writing Jewish Culture. Paradoxes in Ethnography. Together with Gabriella Safran. Indiana University Press, Bloomington 2016, ISBN 978-0-253-01964-6 .
- 2018: retrospectively, fundamentally. Commentary as a way of thinking in Jewish modernity from Hermann Cohen to Jacques Derrida. Together with Liliane Weissberg. Wallstein, Göttingen, ISBN 978-3-8353-3369-7 .
- 2019: Between Customization and Subversion. Language and Politics of Assimilation. Together with Urs Lindner. Fink, Paderborn, ISBN 978-3-7705-5951-0 .
- 2019: Judaism and Illness. (= Issue of Ashkenazi. Journal for the history and culture of the Jews, vol. 29, issue 1, June 2019). Together with Robert Jütte. De Gruyter, Berlin, ISSN 1016-4987.
- 2019: Else Lasker-Schüler. Poetry book for Hugo. Together with Karl Jürgen Skrodzki. Wallstein, Göttingen, ISBN 978-3-8353-3447-2 .
- Andreas Kilcher. ETH Zurich, accessed on June 5, 2011 .
- Center for the history of knowledge.
- Reviews of the Encyclopedia of Literature. Pearl divers , accessed June 9, 2011 .
- Create synergies, expand cooperation. Interview in: Neue Zürcher Zeitung from March 4, 2009.
- Lectures and lectures as video recordings at the University of Tübingen.
- European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism.
- Hans-Albrecht Koch: Metzler Lexicon of German-Jewish Literature. Review. In: Informationsmittel für Libraries 8/1/4 (2000).
- ↑ Board of Trustees of the Thomas Mann Archive.
- ^ Silverman Professor Andreas Kilcher.
- ↑ Andreas Kilcher in an interview with Bettina Spoerri: Creating synergies, expanding cooperation. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung from March 4, 2009 Interview.
- ↑ Neue Zürcher Zeitung of December 24, 2013.
- ↑ Andreas Kilcher in Neue Zürcher Zeitung of July 30, 2010.
- ↑ Andreas Kilcher in Neue Zürcher Zeitung of July 8, 2015.
- ↑ Andreas Kilcher in Neue Zürcher Zeitung from July 15, 2015.
- ↑ Andreas Kilcher in Neue Zürcher Zeitung from August 15, 2016.
- ↑ Stefan Breitrück: Secondary text request . Review in literaturkritik.de on April 4, 2019.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kilcher, Andreas Benjamin (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss literary and cultural scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 11, 1963|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|