life and work
Angela Lehner grew up in East Tyrol . She studied comparative literature in Vienna , Maynooth and Erlangen . In 2016 Lehner took part in the “ Prose Author's Workshop ” at the Berlin Literary Colloquium . In 2018 she reached the final of the Floriana Literature Prize . In 2018 and 2019, Lehner published 10 after 8 in the Zeit-Online series with a look at this small, sweet neighboring country! and The Body of the Mother Texts on the topics of sexism and gender roles. The first-mentioned text, in which Lehner discusses the Sigrid Maurer affair and identified a shift to the right in gender relations in Austria, was heavily criticized months later by the Austrian daily Die Presse .
Lehner achieved greater fame in German-speaking countries in 2019 with her debut novel Our Father , which was published by the Berlin publisher Hanser in the spring. The story of a manic, young woman named Eva Gruber, who is admitted to the Otto Wagner Hospital in Vienna for allegedly shooting a kindergarten class, received praise from the specialist critics. Daniela Strigl ( Süddeutsche Zeitung ) read an "impressive debut" and drew comparisons to the works of Peter Henisch and Josef Winkler and was reminded of Thomas Bernhard Wittgenstein's nephew . Our father was awarded the Franz Tumler Literature Prize , the Alpha Literature Prize and the Austrian Book Prize for the best novel debut in 2019 . The work also made it onto the long list of the German Book Prize in the year of its publication .
The book award jury highlighted the “highly unreliable first-person narrator” and described her as “scheming, know-it-all, maybe even dangerous to the public”. Lehner herself had already dealt with the concept of the "unreliable narrator" in her bachelor thesis. A rioting school class gave the impetus for the book in one go when they wanted to write “something beautiful, something artistic” on their laptop. Lehner stated that she was afraid of Eva Gruber while writing and that she had given up her work as a copywriter for a travel agency in order to be able to finish the book. "This is not a book that you can write on the weekend, it took me two days to even know what I wanted to say," says the author.
Angela Lehner lives as a freelance writer and copywriter in Berlin. She is currently working on a youth story that will take place in Austria again.
- Our father . Novel. Hanser Berlin, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-446-26259-1 .
- The bear . Narrative. SuKuLTuR , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-95566-085-7
- 2019: Franz Tumler Literature Prize for Our Father
- 2019: Alpha Literature Prize for Our Father
- 2019: Austrian Book Prize - Debut Prize for Our Father
- 2020: Rauris literature prize for our father
- Theo Breuer : Twenty Days - Twenty Novels: A Book Game . In: Matrix . Journal for literature and art , 58th edition, Pop Verlag, Ludwigsburg 2019, pp. 7–167.
- Official website
- Short biography and reviews of works by Angela Lehner at perlentaucher.de
- Profile at hanser-literaturverlage.de
- Angela Lehner . In: hanser-literaturverlage.de (accessed on August 21, 2019).
- Lehner, Angela: Look at this small, sweet neighboring country! . In: zeit.de, September 17, 2018 (accessed August 21, 2019).
- Lehner, Angela: The mother's body . In: zeit.de, January 28, 2019 (accessed August 21, 2019).
- look at this cute little neighboring country! ", Demands Angela Lehner ... In: Die Presse , February 16, 2019, p. 41.
- Strigl, Daniela: The hospital tester . In: Süddeutsche Zeitung, March 19, 2019, literature supplement, p. 4.
- The Tumler Prize Winner . In: Daily newspaper online (accessed on September 22, 2019)
- Our Father . In: deutscher-buchpreis.de (accessed on August 21, 2019).
- Angela Lehner: "I was scared while writing" . In: diepresse.com, April 26, 2019 (accessed August 21, 2019).
- author . In: angela-lehner.de (accessed on August 21, 2019).
- Rauris Literature Prize 2020 for Angela Lehner. In: Upper Austrian news . February 3, 2020, accessed February 3, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1987|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Klagenfurt|