Peter Henisch was born in Vienna a year and a half before the end of World War II ; his father Walter was a very valued photographic war correspondent for the Wehrmacht at the time . After 1945 his father worked for social democratic media.
Peter Henisch made his first literary attempts after graduating from high school while doing a traineeship at the Wiener Arbeiter-Zeitung (AZ), the central organ of the SPÖ . In the following course of studies he took German studies , philosophy , history and psychology . A doctoral project on Ernst Bloch remained unfinished. 1966/1967 he was local editor for AZ.
Since 1971 he has lived as a freelance writer in Vienna, Lower Austria and Tuscany and made his first appearance with Hamlet stays . From 1972 on he was literary editor of the magazine of the Theater der Jugend Neue Wege . From 1970 to 1973 he was a member of the “Working Group of Austrian Literature Producers”.
The best known of his works is the novel The Little Figure of My Father (1975; revised 1987 and 2003; filmed in 1979). In it, Henisch deals with his father's past as an official war photographer during the Third Reich .
He founded the magazine for literature Wespennest .
Henisch was also productive in musical terms. In 1975 he was a co-founder, songwriter and singer of the group Wiener Fleisch und Blut . He later worked with the musicians Woody Schabata and Hans Zinkl , among others ; this resulted in the Black Peter's Songbook in 2001 .
- 1970 State grant from the Federal Ministry for Education and the Arts
- 1971 Literature Prize from the Vienna Art Fund
- 1971 Austrian State Prize Promotion Prize
- 1973 Luitpold-Stern- Prize
- 1973 Prize for Literature from the Theodor-Körner-Stiftungsfonds
- 1975 Promotion Prize of the City of Vienna for Literature
- 1976 Special Prize of the State of Salzburg for the Rauris Literature Prize
- 1977 Anton Wildgans Prize
- 1981 UNDA Prize from the International Catholic Association for Radio and Television Monte Carlo
- 1986 Book award from the Federal Ministry for Education and the Arts
- 2005 Lower Austrian Culture Prize (Appreciation Prize)
- 2005 Longlist of the German Book Prize with Die schwangere Madonna
- 2009 City of Vienna Prize for Literature
- 2010 Gold Medal of Merit of the State of Vienna
- 2014 Austrian Art Prize for Literature
- 2014 Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art, 1st class
- Hamlet stays , 1971
- From the Baronkarl. Peripheral stories and other prose , 1972
- Viennese Flesh and Blood , 1975
- The little figure of my father , 1975
- On the trail of myself. Job. Poems, 1977
- May is over , 1978
- Lumpazi moribundus , 1978
- Interglacial , 1979
- Vagabunden-Tales (first new version of the stories of the Baronkarl and first short version of the play Lumpazimoribundus ), 1980
- Bali or Swoboda gets out , 1981
- The Vienna Cookbook , 1982
- Between all armchairs , 1982
- Hoffmann's stories. Notes by a confused Germanist , 1983
- Pepi Prohaska Prophet , 1986
- The little figure of my father , revised version, 1987
- Stein's Paranoia , 1988
- Hamlet, Job, Heine , Poems, 1989
- Morrison's hideout , 1991
- Baron Charles. Old and new peripheral stories with photos by Sepp Dreissinger, 1992
- About the desire to become an Indian. How Franz Kafka met Karl May and still didn't end up in America , 1994
- The comet is coming anyway , revised and updated version of the novella of the play Lumpazimoribundus , 1995
- Irony and what becomes of it. Three lectures , in: manuscripts , 35th year, 128th issue of the complete series, Vienna, June 1995, p. 62 ff. (As part of the "Viennese lectures on literature" in the "Alte Schmiede" )
- Black Peter , 2000
- Black Peter's Songbook , 2001
- Morrison's hideout . Revised and supplemented new version, 2001
- My Dad's Little Figure , updated 2003 edition
- The pregnant Madonna , Roman, 2005
- A very small woman , Roman, 2007
- The Lost Messiah , novel, 2009
- Grand finale for Novak , Roman, Residenz Verlag, St. Pölten / Salzburg 2011, ISBN 978-3-70171547-3
- Mortimer & Miss Molly , Roman, Deuticke 2013, ISBN 978-3-552-06225-2
- Outsiders out of passion , texts on politics, literature and society from four decades. Special number, Vienna 2013, ISBN 978-3-85449-388-4
- Search picture with cat , Roman, Deuticke 2016, ISBN 978-3-552-06327-3
- Seven and a half lives , novel, Deuticke 2018, ISBN 978-3-552-06380-8
- This is my window. Almost all poems and songs , special number 2018, ISBN 978-3-85449-518-5
- Lumpazimoribundus. Antiposse with singing , 1976 (" Experiment am Liechtenwerd ", Vienna)
- Hoffmann or the Renitenz , Thomas Sessler Verlag, Vienna and Munich 1984
- Desire to become an Indian , Thomas Sessler Verlag, Vienna and Munich 1992
- Hoffmann or the Renitenz , 1987 (ORF)
- I'm fine, if you please, out of the sun! , 1992 (ORF)
- About the desire to become an Indian or How Franz Kafka met Karl May and still didn't end up in America , 1992 (ORF)
- The comet is coming anyway , 1996 (ORF)
- Better living in Vienna , 1972 (ORF)
- Monte Vienna - Monte Laa , 1975 (ORF)
- The little figure of my father , 1979 (BR, MTV, ORF)
Audio, LPs and CDs
- Peter Henisch reads Lumpazimoribundus by Peter Henisch , 1975 (Intercord Litera 26 552-0 H)
- All right , 1975 (Intercord 26 568 - 6U)
- Without any joke , 1974 (CBS S 80 288), vocals and music: Thomas Declaude , texts: Peter Henisch
- Away from Vienna . 1993, Provincial Library
- Black Peter's Songbook . 2001, ORF and Residenz Verlag
- Morrison's hideout . 2001, Preiser Records
- From Baron Karl to Black Peter . Edition radio literature ORF
- Elisabeth Augustin: Literary History Negotiations. On the guilt discourse with Peter Henisch . VDM Verlag Dr. Müller, Saarbrücken 2009, ISBN 978-3-639-17528-8 (print on demand).
- Mathias Brandstädter: Consequential damage. Context, narrative structures and forms of the fathers' literature 1960 to 2008. Definition of a genre (= epistemata , series: literary studies , volume 716). Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-8260-4446-5 , pp. 174–196.
- Craig Decker (Ed. And Preface): Balancing Acts. Textual Strategies of Peter Henisch (= Studies in Austrian literature, culture and Thought ). Ariadne Press, Riverside, CL 2002, ISBN 1-57241-112-0 (With contributions by: Jeffrey Schneider, Kathy Brzovic, Friedemann Weidauer, Antje Harnisch and Anne Close Ulmer).
- Walter Grünzweig, Gerhard Fuchs (Ed.): Peter Henisch (= Dossier , Volume 21). Droschl, Graz 2003, ISBN 3-85420-640-2 .
- Martin Kubaczek, Terkl Daniel (ed.): Searching for traces in the space of possibility. The narrative worlds of Peter Henisch . Special number, Vienna 2015, ISBN 978-3-85449-434-8 .
- Christoph Parry: Peter Henisch . In: Heinz Ludwig Arnold (Hrsg.): Critical lexicon of contemporary German literature (KLG).
- Eva Schobel: Peter Henisch: a monograph, two volumes (= dissertations of the University of Vienna, volume 191), VWGÖ, Vienna 1987, ISBN 3-85369-722-4 (dissertation University of Vienna 1988, 2 volumes: 342 pages and page 343– 716).
- Franz Schuh (Ed.): Figure throwing. The Peter Henisch Reader . Residence, Salzburg 2003, ISBN 3-7017-1352-9 .
- Literature by and about Peter Henisch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of the author
- Readings from Peter Henisch original documents (audio and video) in the online archive of the Austrian Mediathek
- Short biography and reviews of works by Peter Henisch at perlentaucher.de
- Peter Henisch in the literature archive of the Austrian National Library
- Culturethe State of Lower Austria 2005 . APA notification dated November 24, 2005, accessed November 28, 2015.
- Minister of Culture Ostermayer honors writer Peter Henisch ( Memento of the original from January 28, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Article from November 27, 2014, accessed on January 28, 2015.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian writer, songwriter and journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 27, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|