Anthony Andrews, son of a musician and a dancer, was born in London in 1948 and grew up in the northern borough of North Finchley. At the age of eight he took dance lessons and appeared on stage for the first time as the "white rabbit" in a production of Alice in Wonderland . During his school days Andrews was considered shy and suffered from dyslexia , before he was entrusted by his English teacher with the role of Athena in the production of a Greek tragedy. He took a liking to acting, but left school early at the age of 17.
After a number of odd jobs, including as a caterer, farmer and journalist, he found employment with the Chichester theater . There he soon gained the position of assistant stage manager and substitute actor. In 1968 he auditioned for a role in Alan Bennett's then new play Forty Years On , in which John Gielgud was the principal of a British public school during the First World War . Andrews was chosen to play Skinner, one of the twenty schoolboys who lost their innocence as a result of the war. Andrews had the opportunity to work with John Gielgud for a year and a half.
Other theater roles included Count Fosco in the musical The Woman in White , Prof. Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady (2001), Pastor Manders in the Ibsen play Ghosts, and his several seasons with the New Shakespeare Company and the Chichester Festival Theater .
His television roles included the Marquis of Stockbridge in The House on Eaton Place in 1975 , before he became known to an international audience in 1981 for his role as the homosexual Sebastian Flyte in the eleven-part series Reunion with Brideshead at the side of Jeremy Irons . The film adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's novel Reunion with Brideshead brought Andrews, among other things, the British television award BAFTA and a Golden Globe .
Other television roles followed, including 1982 Wilfred of Ivanhoe in Ivanhoe , 1982 Sir Percy Blakeney / The Scarlet Pimpernel in Das Scharlachrote Siegel , 1985 Nero in AD - Anno Domini , 1987 Johnnie Aysgarth in suspicion and Dr. Henry Jekyll / Edward Hyde in The Curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde . In 1989, Andrews played the killer Elliott Blake in the Columbo episode Deadly Tricks .
Andrews was originally supposed to take on the role of William Bodie in the TV series The Professionals , but there were disagreements with his colleague Martin Shaw , so the role was cast with Lewis Collins . In addition to acting, he was also responsible as a film producer of the award-winning drama Gulag 3 (1991) and the horror film Haunted - House of Spirits , in which he also played leading roles.
Anthony Andrews has been married to Georgina Simpson, a former actress and heir to the prestigious London department store Simpson's, since 1971 . They have three children together. The family has close ties to the British royal family .
- 1973: A hamburger for 10 million ( Take Me High )
- 1975: The House on Eaton Place ( Upstairs, Downstairs, TV series)
- 1975: The Sonderkommando ( Operation Daybreak )
- 1981: The Last Paradise - Shadows of the Past ( Mistress of Paradise, TV)
- 1981: Reunion with Brideshead ( Brideshead Revisited, television multipart)
- 1982: Ivanhoe (TV)
- 1982: The Scarlet Pimpernell ( TV)
- 1983: Two corpses at supper ( Sparkling Cyanide, TV)
- 1984: Under the Volcano (Under the Volcano)
- 1985: Anno Domini ( AD, TV series)
- 1985: The $ 4½ Trillion Contract (The Holcroft Convenant)
- 1986: Second Victory ( The Second Victory )
- 1987: Suspicion, the suspicion ( Suspicion, TV)
- 1987: The Lighthorsemen
- 1988: Bluegrass (TV)
- 1988: King of Her Heart ( The Woman He Loved, TV)
- 1988: Hanna's War
- 1989: Columbo (TV series): Deadly Tricks
- 1990: Sherlock Holmes Must Die ( Hand of a Murderer, TV)
- 1991: Gulag 3 ( Zateryannyy v Sibiri )
- 1992: Jewels of Fate ( Jewels, TV)
- 1995: Haunted - House of Spirits
- 2000: David Copperfield (TV)
- 2006: Agatha Christie's Marple : Loud lovely old ladies ( Marple: By the Pricking of My Thumbs , TV movie)
- 2010: The King's Speech
- 2020: The English Game
- 1982: Best Actor for Brideshead Revisited
- 1982: Nominated for Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Special for Brideshead Revisited
- 1983: Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie for Brideshead Revisited
- 1993: Nominated for Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie for Jewels of Fate
- Anthony Andrews in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- CV with photos (in English.) ( Memento of 23 July 2008 at the Internet Archive )
- cf. Debut: Anthony Andrews . In: The Independent (London), April 25, 2001, Features, p. 10
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Andrews, Anthony Corin Gerald (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English actor and film producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 12, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|