Drugs with a benzamide structure
The therapeutically used benzamides are N-substituted (i.e. they have a substituent on the N atom ) and have further functional groups at various positions on the benzene ring . Benzamides have different effects depending on the substituents: the best-known representatives are used in psychiatry, but there are also substances that suppress nausea or improve cardiac arrhythmias .
- Sulpiride , an atypical neuroleptic used to treat acute and chronic schizophrenia
- Amisulpride , a derivative of sulpiride with the same indications .
The active ingredients mentioned have an antipsychotic effect and, in contrast to most other neuroleptics, have an activating and mood-enhancing effect rather than a depressant. They are used to treat various psychological disorders , but rarely in acute schizophrenic attacks, as the neuroleptic potency of sulpiride and amisulpride is usually not sufficient for this.
- Moclobemide , a substituted benzamide structurally related to sulpiride and remoxiprid, is an antidepressant used to treat inhibited depression.
Other therapeutic uses
- Cisapride (for nausea and dysmotility of the upper digestive tract )
- Labetalol ( antihypertensive agent , both alpha and beta blockers )
- Metoclopramide (acts against nausea and nausea)
- Procainamide (acts against irregular heartbeat).
Pesticides with a benzamide structure
A number of agents used in crop protection also have a characteristic benzamide structure, such as
- the insecticides cyantraniliprole , diflubenzuron , hexaflumuron ,
- the fungicides fluopicolide , fluopyram , zoxamide ,
- the herbicides naptalam and propyzamide .
Molluscicides and repellants with a benzamide structure
Among the molluscicides , niclosamide is represented with a benzamide structure. The substance is used to combat the water snails that transmit the worm disease schistosomiasis . Diethyltoluamide (e.g. Anti Brumm ), which is widely used to repel insects ( repellant ), also belongs to the benzamides.
For further representatives see the category benzamide .