The book publisher is the most common form of publishing . Book publishers produce printed works , agree rights transfers with the authors by means of publishing contracts and take care of the advertising and distribution of the edited books. In addition to offset printing, the modern book publisher is now increasingly using book on demand for its print editions and also sells its titles in the form of e-books and / or audio books on CD and DVD or for download .
Book publishing types
In the case of “classic” book publishers or the general public, a distinction is made according to their main focus on the genre spectrum of fiction (literature, including children's and youth literature ) and / and non-fiction .
There are also technical book publishers , mainly, or only textbooks or literature embarrassed that on "one is skilled audience mostly overlooking professional use or acquiring new scientific knowledge" is aimed, and therefore due rather low sales expectations usually in the form of a subsidy publisher or . printing costs publishing for creating their publications printing costs rise. In scientific publications that have within the technical book publishing scientific publishers specialize.
In contrast to regular book publishing, self-publishing as well as the service forms self -publishing and self-publishing platform differ in that the author bears the business risk of a publication alone, he does not conclude publishing contracts with the service providers , but contracts for work and his publications are therefore considered self-publications .
With the development of digital data dissemination, book publishing has also expanded its offerings in recent years and is no longer tied to paper as a physical data carrier as in earlier centuries. Publisher's previews previously traditionally bound in booklet form can now also be accessed online .
Most book publishers are still medium-sized companies , but there is a strong tendency to form publishing groups . In 2006, for example, the concentration in the publishing industry rose by a total of at least ten percent to over 150 takeovers . Large, market-moving takeovers in particular have increased significantly (mostly in the specialist information sector). Independent publishers are a small, contrary trend . For example, in 1997 there were 161 such publishers in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia, and in 2008 there were already 316.
In order to survive in the market or to avoid layoffs, publishers are now more often publishing things that differ from their profile . The old term in the industry jargon "Schnellschein" stands for rather poorly researched and edited new publications that fit into an unforeseen niche in the market . However, a survey commissioned by Murmann Verlag in 2018 showed that a publisher's clear content profile is nowadays viewed as a less important aspect for a good book publisher than, for example, a good program, i.e. a good selection of topics and authors, as well as carefully developed books.
- Documentation by German-language publishers . 15th edition. With CD-ROM. Edited by Curt Vinz, Günter Olzog and Johann Hacker. Verlag Moderne Industrie , Landsberg 2004, ISBN 978-3-636-03019-1 (From the first edition in 1962 to the 13th edition in 1998, this documentation was published every three years by Olzog Verlag , Munich, and from the 14th edition in 2001 by Verlag moderne Industrie, Landberg am Lech; the 15th edition from 2004 was the last).
- Hans-Helmut Röhring, Klaus-W. Bramann (ed.): How a book is made. Introduction to modern book publishing . 9th, revised and updated edition, Primus, Darmstadt 2011, ISBN 978-3-89678-735-4 .
- Michael Schickerling, Birgit Menche, Sybil Volks, Klaus-W. Bramann: Making books: a manual for editors and editors; Program planning, project management, manuscript editing, e-books, legal aspects, production, distribution, advertising and public relations, professional profile lecturer, freelance work in publishing houses; Addresses, literature tips, checklists. 3rd, updated and expanded edition. Bramann, Frankfurt am Main 2012, ISBN 978-3-934054-52-3 .
- Eduard Schönstedt, Thomas Breyer-Mayländer: The book publisher: history, structure, economic principles, calculation and marketing. 3rd, completely revised and expanded edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2010, ISBN 978-3-476-02258-5 .
- Duden : Fachverlag , online at duden.de
- Duden: Fachbuchverlag , online at duden.de
- Sigrid Pohl, Konrad Umlauf: Warenkunde book . Structures, contents and tendencies of the German-speaking book market of the present. 2nd, renewed edition. Harrassowitz Verlag , Wiesbaden 2007, ISBN 978-3-447-05622-9 , pp. 117 ff . ( limited preview in Google Book Search [accessed April 18, 2013] 345 pages, paperback ).
- Survey on books: This is how important the internet is for the book industry . In: Murmann Magazin . October 10, 2018 ( murmann-magazin.de [accessed October 22, 2018]).