Carl Röchling (painter)
Carl Röchling (born October 18, 1855 in Saarbrücken , † May 6, 1920 in Berlin ) was a German painter and illustrator primarily of military and military-historical subjects. The picture The Germans to the Front from 1900 became an icon of the German Empire as well as of German militarism.
Carl Röchling studied from 1875 to 1880 at the art school in Karlsruhe with Ludwig des Coudres and Ernst Hildebrand and at the academy in Berlin . In Berlin he was a master student of Anton von Werner , on whose behalf he participated in the creation of various panorama paintings.
Later, through his independent work, he became one of the most famous battle and history painters of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In addition, together with his painter colleague Richard Knötel , he illustrated two children's books that were very popular at the time.
He was one of the preferred selection of contemporary artists that the “Committee for the Procurement and Evaluation of Stollwerck Pictures” suggested to the Cologne chocolate producer Ludwig Stollwerck to commission them with drafts.
- Episode from the battle of Gravelotte (death of Major von Hadeln on August 18, 1870) , German Historical Museum, 1897, 115 × 181 cm
- Collaboration on the Berlin Sedan Panorama (under Anton von Werner )
- Panorama of the Battle of Chattanooga (together with Georg Koch and Eugen Bracht )
- Panoramic picture of the rafting operation on the Enz , 1889, initially in the rafting room of the Besigheimer Gasthof Sonne, after the demolition of this building now in the Besigheim town hall
- Murals in the Gdansk Town Hall , Teltow District Hall , Kaiser Wilhelm Academy , Celle Fatherland Museum and in Falkenstein / Taunus
- Attack by the Brandenburgers against Spichern near the Goldenen Bremm on the evening of August 6, 1879, 1908, in the meeting room of the Old Town Hall in Völklingen
- Storming of the Geisbergschlößchen near Weißenburg in Alsace
- The French in the Palatinate 1689 by Carl Röchling in Berlin,
- Boots Roll Call , A drastic humoresque from the modern soldier life in peace.
- Panoramic picture Besigheim siege by Duke Ulrich von Württemberg 1504 , 1918, Besigheim town hall
- Saarbrücken war chronicle
- The war against France 1870/71
- Our army
- Children's books
- 1895 The old Fritz in 50 pictures for young and old
- 1896 Queen Luise in 50 pictures for young and old
- Gerhard Beckmann (editor): Carl Röchling, "Our Army". Everyday life as a soldier in Germany around 1890. The “Our Heer” picture folder by Carl Röchling. Mittler, Hamburg et al. 2001, ISBN 3-8132-0770-6
- Literature by and about Carl Röchling in the catalog of the German National Library
- Carl Röchling in the Saarland biographies
- Lorenz, Detlef: Reklamekunst um 1900. Artist lexicon for collecting pictures, Reimer-Verlag, 2000.
- Hans-Jürgen Mende : Lexicon of Berlin burial places . Pharus-Plan, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-86514-206-1 , p. 479.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Roechling, Carl|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter and illustrator|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 18, 1855|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Saarbrücken|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 6, 1920|
|Place of death||Berlin|