The lady with the black glove
|Original title||The lady with the black glove|
|Country of production||Austria|
|length||approx. 78 minutes|
|production||Sascha Kolowrat-Krakowsky for Sascha-Film (Vienna)|
The beautiful Helene, who hides a brand on her hand under a black glove that she always wears, grew up among crooks. Her buddy André equips her with everything she needs for her future crimes. The first thing she should do is marry the Duke of Komarov in order to get hold of his fortune as quickly as possible. When the noble gentleman suddenly dies one day, Helene is immediately suspected. She is arrested and sentenced as a murderer. It's André who frees her from prison.
But he does not do this out of pure goodness - rather he has already planned Helene for his next coup: She is to marry the ambassador Gonter de Rieux (other sources call him Vicomte de Gontrau). But this time it's not about money, André, who was employed by Helene as her personal servant, is after important secret files of the Count. André then donates the documents and leaves Helene behind. Helene's feelings for the viscount, however, are real, and so the repentant sinner tries to get the files back for her husband. In doing so she finds death.
The Lady with the Black Glove was shot in 1919, passed Austrian film censorship on November 15 of the same year and was premiered in Vienna on November 21, 1919 . The four-act film was about 1,600 meters long and was banned from school. In December 1919, the strip also ran at the Berlin premiere theater Kurfürstendamm.
“Although the plot is built entirely on real ground, the artist knows how to have a fantastic effect and consequently also how to put the viewer's imagination into action, so that that state is brought about which we usually call 'exciting'. The value of a film is rightly assessed according to whether it has an exciting plot, since this applies here, so it will surely find the fullest approval. We can only confirm its quality values "
In Paimann's film lists you can read: “Fabric is fantastic. Game, photos and scenery excellent. "
- The Lady with the Black Glove at The German Early Cinema Database
- The lady with the black glove in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- The lady with the black glove at filmportal.de
- Neue Kino-Rundschau from September 20, 1919. P. 24
- The lady with the black glove in Paimann's film lists ( memento of the original from March 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.