Service passport

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The service passport is intended for cross-border travel pass , which is issued by Governments for travel of its representatives in their official capacity (and possibly accompanying relatives). To diplomats and other official or elected officials no service passports, but are often used in a political function diplomatic passports issued; the exact handling differs in the individual states.


German service passport

The issuing of service passports in Germany is regulated by the Passport Ordinance and the General Administrative Regulation on the Issuance of Official Passports of the Federal Republic of Germany (AVVaP). As with diplomatic passports, the only issuing authority for German service passports is the Foreign Office . Since service passes are issued solely in the public interest, the regulation expressly provides that there is no entitlement to the issue. In Germany until 2000 there was still the ministerial pass , which was kept in black and was issued to civil servants in the higher service from grade A 16 instead of a service pass. It was abolished because it did not conform to international practice.

Section 5 of the General Administrative Regulation on the Issuance of Official Passports of the Federal Republic of Germany (AVVaP) regulates which persons receive a service pass :

  • In their capacity as official or mandate holder with a place of employment in Germany, they receive service passports
    • the members of the regional parliaments;
    • the employees of the federal and state ministries and other federal and state authorities for business trips for which they do not receive a diplomatic passport; this applies accordingly to soldiers, insofar as the trips cannot be carried out with military identification documents.
  • Service passports are issued in their capacity as public officials with a place of employment abroad
    • the honorary consuls of the Federal Republic of Germany;
    • the employees of the federal and state ministries and the other federal and state authorities who have been transferred abroad, including soldiers who are not given a diplomatic passport;
    • Federal and state employees who are given leave by their authorities to work in an international organization for the duration of the leave of absence if they do not receive a diplomatic passport.
  • Service passports are also given to the following persons who work on a public mandate abroad,
    • Teachers who are placed at German schools abroad or at other schools and other educational institutions abroad outside the member states of the European Union that are funded by the Federal Republic of Germany or a federal state;
    • Seconded employees who work outside the member states of the European Union at branches of the intermediary organizations of foreign cultural and educational policy (Goethe Institute, German Academic Exchange Service, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, German Research Foundation, Fulbright Commission);
    • Academic specialists and university employees for a teaching assignment who work at foreign universities outside the member states of the European Union, provided they are posted by the German Academic Exchange Service;
    • the specialists in bilateral development cooperation (including development workers under the Development Aid Act and the integrated specialists placed by the Center for International Migration and Development), provided they are sent by organizations that are directly or indirectly owned by the federal government (e.g. Society for International Cooperation; Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau, Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft; Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt; Federal Institute for Geosciences and Raw Materials; Engagement Global; German Evaluation Institute of Development Cooperation) as well as the employees of Germany Trade and Invest who are outside the member states of the European Union are posted abroad;
    • other skilled workers not listed in number 4 who were posted in accordance with Section 2 of the Development Workers Act and for whose deployment a service pass is required due to the entry or residence regulations or the internal security situation of the destination countries.
  • A service passport can be issued to people other than the above-mentioned persons for trips that they undertake on official behalf or in the special German interest (e.g. important artists who represent Germany at an event abroad), in exceptional cases also for a longer stay, if this Traveling without a service pass would not be possible or would be significantly more difficult in individual cases.

The possession of a service passport, in itself, like the possession of a diplomatic passport, does not lead to diplomatic immunity (for the reasons, see the article on the diplomatic passport ).

For some service passport holders, however, there is the privilege of being exempt from the visa requirement , unlike citizens of their country who present a regular passport . For entry into Germany, this is regulated in Section 19 and Appendix B of the Residence Ordinance.

According to German law, the possession of a service pass fulfills the legal identification requirement . To distinguish it from service passports are official identity cards issued by different authorities, however, are only valid in Germany.


Austrian service passport

Service passes are in accordance with To issue § 5 passport law for:

  • Members of the National Council , the Federal Council and the regional parliaments ,
  • Members of the state governments ,
  • the presidents and vice-presidents of the highest courts ,
  • the President of the Court of Auditors ,
  • the members of the Ombudsman Board ,
  • Officials and contract employees of the federal and state governments, if the supreme administrative body responsible for their service law affairs confirms that a service pass must be issued for official reasons,
  • Civil servants, contract employees and other persons who are employed by the Austrian professional representation authorities to deal with federal, state or other public corporations, as well as their spouses or registered partners and minor children if they live with them in the same household, and
  • the honorary consuls working for the Republic of Austria as well as their spouses or registered partners and minor children, if they live with them in the same household and are not employed.

The passport holder must immediately return the service pass to the issuing authority for cancellation after the end of the relevant function for issuing the service pass.

See also

Web links

Individual evidence

  1. BAnz AT 07/14/2014 B1
  2. Section 1, Paragraph 2, Sentence 3, PAuswG in conjunction with Section 1, Paragraph 2, No. 4a PassG.