Nerius passed his Abitur in Schwerin in 1954 . He then studied German and Classical Philology , especially Latin Studies , at the Humboldt University in Berlin until 1959 , where he conducted the thesis “Investigations into the development of a national norm in German literary language in the second half of the 18th century. Representation using the example of noun inflection ”was awarded a doctorate in philosophy. In 1973 he completed his habilitation at the University of Rostockwith the thesis "Investigations into a reform of German orthography" for a doctorate in philosophy ("Dr. sc. phil."). From 1975 to 1992 he was Professor of Contemporary German Language and from 1992 to 2001 Professor of German Linguistics at the University of Rostock. Guest professorships took him from 1966 to 1968 to the University of Warsaw , in the summer semester of 1990 to the University of Kiel , in the summer semester of 1991 to the University of Hamburg and from 2003 to 2004 to the University of Vienna .
Between 1975 and 1990, Nerius headed the “Orthography Research Group” of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR and the University of Rostock. In 1992 he was accepted into the commission for spelling questions at the Institute for the German Language in Mannheim , where he was deputy chairman until 1997. From 1997 to 2004 he was a member of the “Interstate Commission for German Spelling”, which was entrusted with the implementation of the 1996 orthography reform.
- Investigations into a reform of the German orthography. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1975.
- Edited with Jürgen Scharnhorst : Theoretical Problems of German Orthography. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1980 (= language and society. 16).
- Edited with Karl-Ernst Sommerfeldt and Günter Starke: Introduction to the grammar and orthography of contemporary German. Bibliographical Institute, Leipzig 1981.
- Ed .: German Orthography. Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig 1987, 4th edition Olms, Hildesheim 2007.
- with R. Bergmann: The development of capitalization in German from 1500 to 1700. 2 vols. Winter, Heidelberg 1998.
- Literature about Dieter Nerius in the state bibliography MV
- 80th birthday of linguist Prof. Dr. Dieter Nerius. University of Rostock, April 2, 2015
- Entry on Dieter Nerius in the Catalogus Professorum Rostochiensium
- Theodor Ickler: Attrition of the brains through writing reform. A little visit to the hunchbacked relatives: The new spelling and National Socialism (PDF; 30 kB) . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, November 10, 2000, No. 262, Feuilleton, p. 44.
- Biographical data from the University of Rostock
- Order for the award of the academic degree of Doctor of Science - Doctoral Degree Regulations B - of January 21, 1969
- Burckhard Garbe : Review: Theoretical Problems of German Orthography. Edited by Dieter Nerius and Jürgen Scharnhorst. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag 1980. 371 S. In: Zeitschrift für Sprachwissenschaft , Volume 2, Issue 2, 1983, doi : 10.1515 / zfsw.19184.108.40.2065 ( PDF )
- Franziska Buchmann, Nanna Fuhrhop: Dieter Nerius. 2007. German orthography. 4th, revised edition. Hildesheim, Zurich, New York: Georg Olms. 484 pp. In: Journal for reviews on Germanistic linguistics , Volume 3, Issue 1, 2011, doi : 10.1515 / zrs.2011.019 ( PDF ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Germanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 5, 1935|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dramburg , Pomerania|