Dieter Oberndörfer (born November 5, 1929 in Nuremberg ) is a German political scientist . Until his retirement in 1997 he held a chair for political science at the University of Freiburg im Breisgau . Oberndörfer is considered to be one of the most important representatives of the Freiburg School of Political Science and an important election researcher and expert on development aid , nationalism , migration and demography .
After graduating from the Wilhelmsgymnasium in Munich , he studied theology , philosophy , history and sociology in Munich, at Davidson College NC / USA and in Erlangen from 1949 to 1955 . In 1955 the doctorate to Dr. phil. at the University of Erlangen with the topic "On the loneliness of humans in modern American society" . 1959 came the habilitation for political science and sociology. In 1963 Oberndörfer was appointed to a chair for political science in Freiburg, which he held until his retirement in 1997. In this function director of the seminar for scientific politics and head of the Colloquium Politicum of the Freiburg University. He turned down several offers to other universities. From 1964 to 2001 (since 1972 with Professor Theodor Hanf ) Oberndörfer was director of the Arnold Bergstraesser Institute in Freiburg, which he was instrumental in setting up after Bergstraesser's death in 1964. His academic students include: a. Detlef Bald , Herbert Dittgen , Rolf Elble , Dietrich Genschel , Hans-Joachim Harder , Wolfgang Jäger , Gerd Mielke , Dieter Salomon and Udo Ulfkotte .
Key words to characterize the wide range of scientific and science policy activities in Oberndörfer: Development policy research in Latin America, Africa and Southeast Asia, funded a. a. by the DFG, the VW and Thyssen Foundation, reviewer for BMZ, Federal Chancellery, Bundestag, churches and political foundations ( Adenauer , Ebert , Seidel , Naumann and Böll Foundation ), participation in numerous advisory committees (including German UNESCO Commission , Scientific Advisory Board BMZ, Administrative Board of DED, Planning Committee Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, EKD Chamber for Church Development Service), further development of the research group Elections at the Department of Political Science at the University of Freiburg and extensive journalistic activities.
From 1991 to 1994 he was chairman of the founding committee of the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences at the University of Rostock and was visiting professor at the Bologna Center at Johns Hopkins University in 1996/97 ( Stephen Muller Chair ), in 1995 at Dartmouth College NH / USA ( Harriet Chair ) and in 1989 Stiftung Wissenschaft and politics / Ebenhausen.
In 2013 he was chairman of the Arnold Bergstraesser Institute eV, second chairman of the Council for Migration eV (of which he is still a simple member in 2017), chairman of the Institute for Political Education - Studienhaus Wiesneck / Buchenbach, member of the board of trustees of the Institute for Development Policy / University of Bochum and scientific advisory board of the Otto Benecke Foundation .
Dieter Oberndörfer now lives in Rostock with his wife Conchita Hübner-Oberndörfer. She teaches as an academic senior counselor at the Institute for Political and Administrative Sciences at the University of Rostock. In 2015 Oberndörfer was made an honorary senator of the University of Rostock.
- 1989 Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- 1989 Medal of Merit from the University of Freiburg
- 1994 Large Federal Cross of Merit
- 1994 Erwin Stein Prize from the Erwin Stein Foundation
- 1994 Dr. hc University of Rostock
- 2001 honorary member of the German UNESCO Commission
- 2007 honorary member of the Alumni-Verein Rostock Political Science eV
- 2015 Honorary Senator of the University of Rostock
- End of the nation state? , in: Robertson-von Trotha, Caroline Y. (Ed.): Europa in der Welt - die Welt in Europa (= interdisciplinary cultural studies / Interdisciplinary Studies on Culture and Society, Vol. 1), Baden-Baden 2006, ISBN 978- 3-8329-1934-4
- Germany in der Abseitsfalle, Herder Spektrum, 189 S., Herder 2005; ISBN 3-451-05551-1
- Classical philosophy of the state: texts and introductions from Plato to Rousseau ; Munich: Beck 2000; selected and ed. with Beate Rosenzweig, ISBN 3-406-42165-2
- The delusion of the national. The alternative of the open republic. Freiburg, Basel, Vienna 1993, 1994 (Herder Spectrum 4279).
- The open republic - on the future of Germany and Europe , Freiburg im Breisgau, Basel, Vienna: Herder 1991; ISBN 3-451-04034-4
- Immigration and integration policy as design tasks , Gütersloh 1993 2nd edition, with U. Berndt,
- Parties and regional political traditions in the Federal Republic of Germany ; Berlin: Duncker and Humblot 1991; ISBN 3-428-07026-7 , ed. with Karl Schmitt:
- Protection of the tropical rainforests , Beck, Munich 1989 (report for the world economic summit)
- Stability and change in the West German electorate: the relationship between social structure and voting behavior in the period from 1976 to 1987 ; Freiburg i. Br .: Arnold Bergstraesser Institute 1990; ISBN 3-9801944-3-4 , with Gerd Mielke:
- Development policy ; Stuttgart u. a .: Kohlhammer 1986; ISBN 3-17-009003-8 , ed. with Theodor Hanf :
- Administration and Politics in the Third World: Problem Sketch, Case Studies, Bibliography ; Berlin: Duncker and Humblot 1981; ISBN 3-428-04841-5
- Dieter Oberndörfer on the occasion of his 65th birthday, Republic and Third World , Ed. W. Jaeger, HO Mühleisen, HJ Veen, Paderborn 1995
- Hermann Avenarius, Dieter Oberndörfer on his 65th birthday , Erwin Stein Foundation, Frankfurt 1995;
- Schmitt, Horst: Political Science and Liberal Democracy. A study on the “political research program” of the “Freiburg School” 1954–1970 . Nomos, Baden-Baden 1995, ISBN 3-7890-3785-0 , especially p. 100ff.
- Celebration for the 70th birthday , Ed. U. Eith u. Gerd Mielke , Social Conflicts and Party System , 2001
- Dieter Oberndörfer on his 75th birthday on November 5th, 2004 (Festschrift), Freiburg i. Br., Arnold Bergstraesser Institute , 2004; ISBN 3-928597-40-X
- Literature by and about Dieter Oberndörfer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography
- ↑ https://rat-fuer-migration.de/verbindungen/
- ↑ Professor Dieter Oberndörfer appointed Honorary Senator of the University of Rostock ( Memento of the original from December 8, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. dated December 2, 2015
- ↑ Rostock Political Science Alumni Association V. - Honorary Members , accessed June 11, 2015.
- ↑ University of Rostock - Professor Dieter Oberndörfer appointed Honorary Senator of the University of Rostock ( Memento of the original from February 15, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed February 15, 2016.
- ↑ portal.uni-freiburg.de: Prof. em. Dr. Dr. hc Dieter Oberndörfer - Seminar for Scientific Policy , accessed on September 8, 2012
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 5, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nuremberg|