Dirk Jörke (* 1971 in Ahlen ) is a German political scientist and university professor .
Live and act
Dirk Jörke studied political science, sociology, history and philosophy at the Universities of Kiel and Hamburg and completed his master's degree in 1996. In 2001 Jörke was a visiting scholar at the Center for Dewey Studies in Carbondale, Illinois. He received his doctorate in 2002 from the University of Greifswald . In 2004 he was a visiting scholar at the New School for Social Research in New York (Department of Political Science). Jörke completed his habilitation in 2009 at the University of Greifswald with the thesis Critique of Democratic Practice: A Study of the History of Ideas . From 2011 to 2012 he was a visiting scholar at the History Department at Harvard University , Cambridge , Massachusetts. 2014 Dirk Jörke received a call at the Technical University of Darmstadt , where he works as a professor at the Institute of Political Science.
Dirk Jörke received a Heisenberg grant from the German Research Foundation , a research grant from the Fritz Thyssen Foundation and a doctoral grant from the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation .
One focus of his work is a contemporary interpretation of the concept of democracy . The analysis of the semantic transformations of the concept of democracy, which he undertook together with Hubertus Buchstein , is now known as classic. Jörke provided fundamental arguments, especially in the debate about post-democracy .
In addition to his scientific work, Jörke is also active as a journalist, including for Cicero , H-Soz-Kult and Deutschlandfunk .
- Democracy as an experience. John Dewey and Contemporary Political Philosophy. Westdeutscher Verlag, Wiesbaden 2003, ISBN 3-531-14051-5 .
- Political Anthropology. An introduction. Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden 2005, ISBN 3-531-14908-3 .
- Critique of Democratic Practice. A study of the history of ideas. Habilitation thesis. Series of publications by the Political Theories and History of Ideas section. Nomos, Baden-Baden 2011, ISBN 978-3-8329-6806-9 .
- with Veith Selk: Introductory Theories of Populism. Junius, Hamburg 2017, ISBN 978-3-88506-798-6 .
- The greatness of democracy. About the spatial dimension of domination and participation. suhrkamp, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-518-12739-1 .
- with Hubertus Buchstein , Michael Hein : Political Theories. Newsreel for political education, social and community studies, Schwalbach / Ts. Issue 5, 2007, ISBN 978-3-89974-350-0 .
- with Bernd Ladwig : Political Anthropology. Nomos, Baden-Baden 2009, ISBN 978-3-8329-3684-6 .
- with Peter Biegelbauer : Microanalyses of political practices. Special issue of the Austrian Journal for Political Science. 38, issue 1, 2009.
- with Frank Nullmeier : Subject and methods of political theory. Special issue of the journal for political theory. 3, issue 1, 2012.
- with Oliver Nachtwey : The people against (liberal) democracy , Leviathan special volume 32 (2017), Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, 2017, ISBN 978-3-8452-8784-3 .
- with Olaf Asbach : Edmund Burke: Tradition - Constitution - Representation. Small political papers. De Gruyter, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-05-004492-7 .
- Literature by and about Dirk Jörke in the catalog of the German National Library
- Dirk Jörke on the TU Darmstadt website
- ↑ Dirk Jörke on the Schader Foundation website, November 14, 2014, accessed on August 1, 2015.
- ↑ Thomas Mirbach: Dirk Jörke: Critique of Democratic Practice , review in: Portal for Political Science, published on May 31, 2012. Charles Philippe Dijon de Monteton: Jörke, Dirk: Critique of Democratic Practice - A study of the history of ideas , review in: Politische Vierteljahresschrift , volume 55, issue 3, 2014, pp. 568–571 (PDF; 86 kB).
- ↑ Hubertus Buchstein, Dirk Jörke: Das Unbehagen an der Demokratietheorie , in: Leviathan , No. 31, Heft 4, 2003, pp. 470–495, doi: 10.1007 / s11578-003-0027-8 .
- ↑ Olaf Jann: The arrogance of ignorance: Vom Elend real existing democracy , in: Hungeling, Christoph (Ed.): Anthropologie - Bildung - Demokratie , Würzburg 2010, pp. 80-106 (here p. 81), ISBN 978-3826042621 .
- ↑ Dirk Jörke: On the way to post-democracy , in: Leviathan , No. 33, Heft 4, 2005, doi: 10.1007 / s11578-005-0057-5 .
- ↑ How much controversy does democracy need? On the Disappearance of the Political , Volkswagen Foundation science podcast , panel discussion from December 3, 2014 with Paul Nolte , Torben Lütjen , Dirk Jörke, Tina Hildebrandt , Tanja Busse .
- ↑ Dirk Jörke at Cicero Online .
- ↑ Dirk Jörke at H-Soz-Kult .
- ↑ Ingeborg Breuer: Who rules our country? Deutschlandfunk, broadcast on May 10, 2012.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1971|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Awls|