Elke Lütjen-Drecoll (born January 8, 1944 in Ahlerstedt ) is a German anatomist . She was the first woman to head an academy of science and literature in Germany. Until March 31, 2010 she held the chair for Anatomy II at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg .
After completing her degree, Lütjen-Drecoll did teaching and research stays at Harvard Medical School and Emory University in Atlanta , Georgia. In 1984 she got a reputation as a full professor of anatomy at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg . There they built up the second Anatomical Institute, a research organization known and respected worldwide in the area of today eyes is -Anatomy. Lütjen-Drecoll is particularly concerned with glaucoma diseases ( green star ). Elke Lütjen-Drecoll has received numerous awards for her scientific achievements, including a. from the Alcon Research Institute in Fort Worth , Texas with the most prestigious international award in ophthalmology .
In 1997 Lütjen-Drecoll became Vice President, in 2005 she was elected President of the Academy of Sciences and Literature in Mainz . She was the first woman to head one of the German academies of science. Her term of office ended in 2013.
Awards and honors
- 1973: Prize of the Stifterverband for German Science
- 1985: Alcon Research Institute in Fort Worth / Texas
- 1988: Glaucoma Prize of the German Ophthalmological Society
- 1992: Albrecht von Graefe Prize
- 1996: Endre Balazs Price
- 2003: Bavarian Maximilian Order for Science and Art
- 2003: Elected member of the Leopoldina
- 2004: Bárány Prize
- 2005: Alcon Research Institute in Fort Worth, Texas / USA
- 2007: Helen Keller Prize for Vision Research. Fort Lauderdale / USA, for her life's work
- 2007: Helen Keller Prize for Vision Research, together with Johannes W. Rohen
- Honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University , Sweden
- 2008: Order of Merit of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate
- 2009: Bavarian Constitutional Medal in Silver
- 2014: Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- "Lütjen-Drecoll: President of the Mainz Academy of Sciences and Literature" (press release from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg)
- "High honor for Erlangen eye researchers" (press release from the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg)
- Elke Lütjen-Drecoll in the AcademiaNet database of renowned scientists
- Press service University of Augsburg: New in the Augsburg University Council: Prof. Dr. Elke Lütjen-Drecoll . December 12, 2012, accessed December 13, 2012.
- Member by Prof. Dr. Elke Lütjen-Drecoll (with picture and CV) at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 17, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German anatomist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 8, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ahlerstedt|