(since 2007) :
|Postal code :||4640|
Faxe has been part of the newly created Faxe Kommune since the 2007 local government reform . Faxe itself has 4165 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020), the municipality has a total of 36,576 inhabitants on 405 km². The administrative seat of the municipality is not the eponymous place Faxe, but the most populous Haslev .
The name Faxe (formerly Faxæ, Faza) is derived from the Old Norse word for 'horse's mane ' and probably refers to the town's location on a ridge.
Legend has it that the chief son Rollo came from Faxe, who conquered the land at the Seine estuary around 900 . The town was first mentioned in 1280. One of the oldest buildings is the church from 1440. In 1577 the church and rectory burned down, but were rebuilt. The oldest Folkeskole in Denmark is located in Faxe , a half-timbered building from 1633.
As early as 1864, a railway line was built between the limestone quarries and the port of Faxe Ladeplads . In 1879 Faxe was connected to the Danish railway network with the Ostbahn. In 1880 both lines were connected. In 1900 the city received a waterworks , until 1904 a pharmacy and in 1908 the town hall .
To the east of the city are limestone quarries ( Faxekalk ). Limestone has been quarried here since the 13th century and lime has been burned since the 17th century. In 1901 the Faxe Bryggeri brewery was founded in Faxe , which is now part of the Royal Unibrew brewery group. Its corporate headquarters are in Faxe.
Development of the population
|November 9, 1970||2,720|
|January 1, 1976||2,954|
|January 1, 1981||3,350|
|January 1, 1986||3,440|
|January 1, 1990||3,624|
|January 1, 1996||3.713|
|January 1, 2000||3,856|
|January 1, 2004||3,826|
|January 1, 2008||3,943|
|January 1, 2009||3,914|
|January 1, 2010||3,908|
sons and daughters of the town
- Kjeld Hansen (* 1951), politician, Mayor of Herlev since 1996
- Jesper Olsen (* 1961), former professional soccer player
- Kristian Eidnes Andersen (* 1966), composer and sound engineer
- Michael Maze (* 1981), professional table tennis player
- Statistics Banks -> Befolkning og valg -> BY1: Folketal January 1st efter byområde, alder og køn (Danish)
- 1970: Danmarks Statistics: Statistisk Årbog 1973 , 1976 to 2004: www.statistikbanken.dk → Befolkning og valg → Folketal → Table BEF4A (Folketal pr. January 1st, fordelt på byer (AFSLUTTET))