Federico II Gonzaga
Federico II Gonzaga (born May 17, 1500 in Mantua , † June 28, 1540 in Marmirolo ) was the son of Margrave Gianfrancesco II Gonzaga of Mantua and his successor since 1519, initially under the reign of his mother Isabella d'Este . In 1530 he was appointed Duke by Emperor Charles V.
Federico was married to Maria Paleologa in name since 1517 . After her death in 1531, on November 16, 1531, he married her sister Marghareta von Montferrat (* August 11, 1510 - December 28, 1556), the daughter of Margrave Wilhelm XI. This marriage policy also secured him rule over the Margraviate of Montferrat, in which he was recognized (as Duke) by Emperor Charles V in 1536.
Federico II Gonzaga is the builder of the Palazzo del Te , the construction of which began around 1525 by Giulio Romano . The large, richly furnished complex of buildings is likely to have served as an apartment for Federico and his lover Isabella Boschetti - a niece of the great statesman, diplomat and writer Baldassare Castiglione .
Federico and Marghareta had seven children:
- Francesco III. Gonzaga (1533–1550) Duke of Mantua and Montferrat since 1540 ⚭ 1549 Catherine of Austria (1533–1572), daughter of Emperor Ferdinand I.
- Eleonora Gonzaga, nun
- Anna Gonzaga, nun
- Isabella Gonzaga (born April 18, 1537; † August 16, 1579; ⚭ 1554 Franz Ferdinand of Avalos )
- Guglielmo Gonzaga (1538–1587) Duke of Mantua and Montferrat since 1550 ⚭ 1561 Eleanor of Austria (1534–1594), daughter of Emperor Ferdinand I.
- Luigi Gonzaga (1539–1595) Duke of Nevers and Rethel 1565 ⚭ 1565 Henriette von Kleve (1542–1601), daughter of Duke Franz I of Kleve-Nevers
- Federico Gonzaga (1540 - February 21, 1565), Bishop of Mantua, cardinal in 1563
From the extramarital relationship with Isabella Boschetti , Federico II Gonzaga had a son and a daughter:
- Alessandro Cauzzi Gonzaga (* 1520, † 1580). He was State Councilor of the Duke of Mantua - his nephew - and was in the military service of the House of Austria in Flanders .
- Emilia Cauzzi Gonzaga (* 1524, † 1573) was married to the condottiere Carlo Gonzaga (* 1523, † 1555). Since 1530 he was the 1st Marchese (Margrave) of Gazzuolo , Conte (Count) of San Martino, Lord of Dosolo a . Commessaggio (all in the province of Mantua in Lombardy ) Emilia Cauzzi Gonzaga had numerous children, through which the descendants of Federico Gonzaga and Isabella Boschetti spread to many families.
- Sylvia Ferino: Isabella d'Este, KHM Vienna, 1994
- Lisa Zeitz , Titian, dear friend. Titian and Federico Gonzaga. Art patronage in Mantua in the 16th century. Dissertation Munich 1999. Michael Imhof Verlag, Petersberg. 256 pages. ISBN 3-932526-73-2
Margrave of Mantua
from 1530 duke
|SURNAME||Gonzaga, Federico II.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Duke of Mantua|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th May 1500|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mantua|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 28, 1540|
|Place of death||Marmirolo|