Götz von Mirbach
Erich Werner Siegfried Götz Freiherr von Mirbach (born September 12, 1915 in Berlin-Charlottenburg , † August 6, 1968 in Hamburg ) was a German naval officer , most recently corvette captain of the Navy .
He took on the side of Francisco Franco in the Spanish Civil War in part. In October 1937 he joined the speedboats , initially as an ensign at sea . During the Second World War, Mirbach served in the 1st Schnellbootflotilla and was used in the fight against Allied ships in the English Channel. He succeeded in sinking a British destroyer. His younger cousin, First Lieutenant Emmerich von Mirbach, served on U-595.
Mirbach was later appointed corvette captain and served as commander of the 9th Schnellbootflotille. In 1944 he was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves . Under the command of Bernd Klug , he won the Battle of Lyme Bay in 1944 .
Mirbach took part in the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki , Finland. He sailed in the German team with Wolfgang Elsner , Andreas Howaldt , Hans Kadelbach and Paul-Heinrich Lange in the six-meter class and reached 10th place.
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd class on April 30, 1940
- 1st class on May 28, 1940
- Service award 4th class on April 5, 1939
- German cross in gold on November 10, 1942 as a lieutenant commander on S-48 in the 4th Schnellbootflotille
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Knight's Cross on August 14, 1940 as first lieutenant at sea and commander of the S-21 speedboat in the 1st Schnellbootflotille
- Eichenlaub on June 14, 1944 as a lieutenant captain and head of the 9th Schnellbootflotille
- Speedboat War Badge with Diamonds (June 14, 1944)
- Mentioned in the Wehrmacht report on April 28, 1944
- Manfred dried: The Ritterkreuzträger the above water forces the Navy Band 2: L-Z . Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1996, ISBN 978-3-7648-2497-6 .
- Clemens Range: The knight's cross bearers of the Navy . Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart 1974, ISBN 978-3-87943-355-1 .
- Fritjof Schaulen: Eichenlaubträger 1940 - 1945 Contemporary history in color II Ihlefeld - Primozic . Pour le Mérite, Selent 2004, ISBN 978-3-932381-21-8 .
- Franz Thomas: The Eichenlaub carrier 1939-1945 Volume 2: L-Z . Biblio-Verlag, Osnabrück 1998, ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9 .
- Extract from the Götz von Mirbach family book
- Corvette Captain Götz Freiherr von Mirbach. In: Peter Paul Möbius : Schnellboote. K. Curtius, Berlin 1943, p. 311.
- Olympics . sports-reference. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Dörr 1996, p. 62.
- Thomas 1998, p. 86.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 312.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 312.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 84.
|SURNAME||Mirbach, Götz von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mirbach, Götz Freiherr von; Mirbach, Erich Werner Siegfried Götz Freiherr von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German naval officer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 12, 1915|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 6, 1968|
|Place of death||Hamburg|