Gert from Pistohlkors
The Pistohlkors family, like most of the Baltic Germans, was resettled under the control of the German Reich in 1939 as a result of the Hitler-Stalin Pact . Gert von Pistohlkors attended the Carl Hunnius boarding school in Wyk auf Föhr from 1946 to 1951 and graduated from high school in Starnberg in 1954 . He studied at the universities of Munich and Göttingen the subjects English Studies , German Studies and History . The Baltic Corporation Fraternitas Dorpatensis to Munich took him in 1964 in their connection to. He passed both state exams in Munich and became a teacher in 1966. From 1967 he worked in Göttingen as assistant of Reinhard Wittram and his PhD in 1974 with a thesis on Ritterschaftliche reform policy between Russification and revolution . From 1974 he was a teacher in the university, most recently academic director at the Department of Medieval and Modern History in Göttingen. Pistohlkors was chairman from 1979 to 2007 and has been an honorary member of the Baltic Historical Commission (Estonian: Balti Ajaloo Komisjon) since 2008 . He has been a full member since 1980, from 1984–1996 he was a board member of the Johann Gottfried Herder Research Council , 1993–2005 a member of the Board of Trustees of the Herder Institute in Marburg , and since 1990 external member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences . From 1983 to 2007 he was co-editor of the journal for East Central Europe research .
- 1998: Honorary doctorate from the University of Tartu (German: Dorpat)
- 1999: III. Class of the Estonian Order of the Cross of Mary , the highest award in Estonia for foreigners
- 2003: Honorary member of the Estonian Scholarly Society (Estonian: Õpetatud Eesti Selts).
- 2008 Culture Prize of the German-Baltic Society Darmstadt.
- Chivalric reform politics between Russification and revolution. Historical studies on the problem of the political self-assessment of the German upper class in the Baltic Sea provinces of Russia in the crisis year 1905. (Göttingen building blocks for historical science, Volume 48). Musterschmidt, Göttingen / Frankfurt am Main / Zurich 1978, ISBN 3-7881-1050-3 .
- The independence of the Baltic countries: history, problems, prospects . Herder Institute, Marburg 1993, ISBN 3-87969-230-0 .
- From the spirit of autonomy. Essays on Baltic history. Edited for the author's 60th birthday and provided with a bibliography by Michael Garleff . Mare Balticum, Cologne 1995, ISBN 3-929081-17-2 .
- "Restitution of the old situation" or future-oriented innovations? School education and the social advancement of Estonians and Latvians, especially in Livonia, in the controversial public discourse (1860 to 1914). In: Journal for East Central Europe Research 67/1 (2018), pp. 32–64
- as editor and co-author: Baltic countries. ( German history in Eastern Europe ). Siedler, Berlin 1994, ISBN 3-88680-214-0 .
- as co-editor :
- The universities of Dorpat / Tartu, Riga and Wilna / Vilnius. Contributions to their history and their impact in the border area between West and East. Böhlau, Cologne / Vienna 1987, ISBN 3-412-00886-9 .
- Enlightenment in the Baltic Provinces of Russia: Ideology and Social Reality . Böhlau, Cologne / Vienna 1998, ISBN 3-412-08596-0 .
- with Matthias Weber : State Unity and National Diversity in the Baltic States. Festschrift for Prof. Dr. Michael Garleff on his 65th birthday. Oldenbourg, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-486-57819-7 .
- Norbert Angermann , Michael Garleff , Wilhelm Lenz (eds.): Baltic provinces, Baltic states and the national. Festschrift for Gert von Pistohlkors on his 70th birthday. (Writings of the Baltic Historical Commission, Volume 14). Lit, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-8258-9086-4 .
- Literature by and about Gert von Pistohlkors in the catalog of the German National Library
- Genealogical manual of the Baltic knighthoods , Görlitz 1929, ( digitized version )
- ALBUM FRATRUM DORPATENSIUM 1973, reception number 112
- Entry in the database of medals
- List of current members and honorary members of the Estonian Scholarly Society
|SURNAME||Pistohlkors, Gert from|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Pistohlkors, Gert Olof von (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 17, 1935|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Narva , Estonia|