Braun worked as an assistant and senior physician at the Greifswald University Dermatology Clinic under Wilhelm Richter (1892–1944). In 1945 he became acting director and full professor . In 1946 Braun was discussed as a new professor at the University of Rostock , alongside Karl Linser from Berlin . However, the proposals were not followed up. In 1949 he changed to the Magdeburg Municipal Dermatology Clinic as director , which at that time was housed in Lostau . In 1952, at his urging, the clinic was relocated to Magdeburg-Sudenburg , where it became part of the Magdeburg Medical Academy as a skin clinic in 1954 . With 280 beds, the facility was one of the largest dermatological clinics in Germany at that time. The sharp decline in sexually transmitted diseases in the 1950s and 1960s led to a significant reduction in beds. Braun therefore endeavored to profile the fields of mycology , industrial dermatology, medical cosmetics and dermatosurgery. His wife Waltraud Braun (1918–1987) also worked as a senior physician at the clinic and later took over the chair at the University Dermatology Clinic of the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg . After Karl Linser retired from the Charité , Wolfgang Gertler (1904–1982) from Leipzig was appointed to this chair. As Gertler's successor, Braun went to the University Dermatology Clinic in Leipzig . In 1960 he became chairman of the Society for Medical Mycology of the GDR . He held this office until 1970. He headed the Leipzig Clinic until his retirement in 1975. In 1973 he received the Patriotic Order of Merit in bronze. Braun died at the age of 70.
- Karl-Henry Kühne: On the history of dermatology and venereology in Magdeburg 1906–1997. Dermatologist 50 (1999), 299 - 304, doi: 10.1007 / s001050050907
- Harald Gollnick: 100th anniversary of the University Dermatology Clinic Magdeburg - Conference on September 1 and 2, 2006 Press release No. 82 of the Medical Faculty of the Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg from August 31, 2006, online (last accessed on May 28, 2009)
- H Schubert: In memoriam Harry Braun 1908–1979. Dermatologist 30 (1979), 455
- C Seebacher, Renate Blaschke-Hellmessen, P Kielstein: On the history of medical mycology in the former GDR. Mycoses 45 (2002) (Suppl. 3), 7-17 ( http://www.dmykg.de/history//geschichte-myk-ddr.html excerpts online)
- Helmut Heise: 100 years of the University Dermatology Clinic and Polyclinic Rostock: The negotiations for the appointment of a new chair after 1945.
- Neues Deutschland , December 6, 1973, p. 5
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German dermatologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 24, 1908|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||cottbus|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 12, 1979|
|Place of death||Wernigerode|