Heike is a mostly female, rarely male first name .
Origin and meaning
It is the Low German pet form of Henrike , the male form is Heinrich .
The name comes from Old High German and is made up of hagan (i.e. court, symbolic for protection) and rihi (i.e. rich, powerful), which means "master of the house". Another translation is "the rich protector".
The name Heike was rarely used in Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. Its popularity rose rapidly in the 1930s, and in 1944 the name was one of the ten most common female first names. Then its prevalence decreased, only to increase again in the mid-1950s. At the beginning of the sixties the name was again among the ten most popular female first names of the respective year a few times. In the following years its popularity declined, since the end of the eighties girls are no longer often called Heike.
First name, female
- Heike Arnold (* 1959), German entrepreneur and author
- Heike Balck (* 1970), German high jumper
- Heike Bittner (* 1963), German screenwriter, director and film producer
- Heike Drechsler (* 1964), German athlete and Olympic champion
- Heike B. Görtemaker (* 1964), German historian
- Heike Götz (presenter, 1964) (* 1964), German presenter
- Heike Götz (presenter, 1970) (* 1970), German presenter
- Heike Henkel (* 1964), German high jumper and Olympic champion
- Heike Hennig (* 1966), German director, choreographer and director of an opera and dance ensemble
- Heike Hohlbein (* 1954), German writer
- Heike Katzmarzik (* 1954), German author and communication trainer
- Heike Kloss (* 1968), German actress
- Heike Laufenburg (* 1961), German artist and author
- Heike Makatsch (* 1971), German actress
- Heike Matthiesen (* 1964), German guitarist
- Heike Meißner (* 1970), German athlete
- Heike Schäfer (* 1964), German pop singer
- Heike Schroetter (* 1956), German actress
- Heike Schulte-Mattler (* 1958), German athlete
- Heike Taubert (* 1958), German politician
- Heike Tischler (* 1964), German athlete
- Heike Trinker (* 1961), German actress
- Heike Ulrich (* 1963), German actress
- Heike Warnicke (* 1966), German speed skater
- Heike Werner (* 1969), German politician (Die Linke), member of the Saxon state parliament
First name, male
- Heike Kamerlingh Onnes (1853–1926), Nobel Prize Winner (Physics)
- Heike Jung (* 1942), criminal law scholar, Saarbrücken University
- Heik Afheldt (* 1937), science journalist
- Georg Heike (* 1933), German phonetician, musician and composer
- Jürgen Heike (* 1949), German state politician (Bavaria) (CSU)
- Michiyo Heike (* 1979), Japanese idol
- Walter Heike (1934–1964), victim of the Berlin Wall
- Richard Heike (1865–1945) Berlin industrialist
- ↑ name: H . Website of the Ecumenical Lexicon of Saints. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- ↑ Statistics on "Popular first names"