Heiko Steuer (born October 30, 1939 in Braunschweig ) is a German archaeologist . His main research interests are questions of social and economic history in prehistoric Europe. He is co-editor of the Reallexikons der Germanischen Altertumskunde .
Heiko Steuer studied physics and mathematics from 1960 to 1969, then prehistory and early history , German studies and ancient history at the University of Göttingen and the University of Tübingen . He received his doctorate in 1969 in Göttingen under Herbert Jankuhn with the thesis "The southern settlement of Haithabu : Studies on early medieval ceramics in the North Sea coast area and in Schleswig-Holstein". In 1979 he completed his habilitation at the University of Bochum with the thesis "Early social structures in Central Europe: An analysis of the evaluation methods of archaeological source material". From 1976 to 1984 Heiko Steuer was director of the Cologne City Museum . In 1984 he succeeded Edward Sangmeister as director of the Institute for Prehistory and Protohistory at the University of Freiburg , where he taught as Professor of Prehistory and Protohistory until his retirement in 2005.
Heiko Steuer became known primarily for his unconventional and sometimes provocative approaches to interpreting the living conditions and social structures of late antiquity and the Merovingian period , which provided significant impulses for prehistoric and medieval archeology and are still considered to be trend-setting. The focus of his scientific activity are the research of late antique hilltop settlements , montane archaeological studies of the medieval mining , the archeology of early medieval town , medieval trade - and monetary history and the history of archeology as a science. From 1997 to 2003 Heiko Steuer was also head of the project “Ethnic units in prehistoric Europe. Archaeological research and its political instrumentalization ”(from 2002:“ Ethnic units and social identities in prehistoric Europe. Archaeological research and its political instrumentalization ”). As a sub-project of the Collaborative Research Center 541 “Identities and Alterities. The Function of Alterity for the Constitution and Construction of Identity ”of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg contributed significantly to an in-depth reflection on the fundamentals within prehistoric archeology .
Heiko Steuer is (co-) editor of several archaeological and historical journals, conference volumes and compilations, including the “ Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde ” and the “Zeitschrift für Archäologie des Mittelalter”.
- with Rüdiger Mäckel and Thomas Christian Uhlendahl: Contemporary landscape genesis on the Upper Rhine. Results of an interdisciplinary graduate school (= Freiburg geographical booklet. 67, ). Institute for Physical Geography, Freiburg (Breisgau) 2011.
- European societies in the first millenium AD. Archeology, history and methodology (= Florilegium Magistrorum Historiae Archaeologiaeque Antiquitatis et Medii Aevi. Vol. 8). Editura Academiei Române et al., Bucharest et al. 2010, ISBN 978-973-27-1785-1 .
- as editor with Volker Bierbrauer : Hill settlements between antiquity and the Middle Ages from the Ardennes to the Adriatic Sea (= Real Lexicon of Germanic Antiquity . Supplementary volumes. Vol. 58). de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2008, ISBN 978-3-11-020235-9 .
- as editor with Gerd Biegel : Stadtarchäologie in Norddeutschland west of the Elbe (= journal for archeology of the Middle Ages. Supplement. 14). Habelt, Bonn 2002, ISBN 3-7749-3076-7 .
- as editor: An outstanding national science. German prehistorians between 1900 and 1995 (= Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde. Supplementary volumes. Vol. 29). de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2001, ISBN 3-11-017184-8 .
- as editor with Walter Berschin and Dieter Geuenich : Mission and Christianization on the Upper and Upper Rhine. (6th – 8th century) (= archeology and history. Freiburg research on the first millennium in southwest Germany. Vol. 10). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-7995-7360-7 .
- as editor: Alter Bergbau im Sulzbachtal, southern Black Forest (= Archaeological News from Baden. 61/62, ). Archeology Association in Baden, Freiburg (Breisgau) 1999.
- Scales and weights from medieval Schleswig. Finds from the 11th to 13th centuries from Europe as sources for the history of trade and currency (= Journal for Archeology of the Middle Ages. Supplement. 10). Rheinland-Verlag, Cologne (ie: Pulheim) 1997, ISBN 3-7927-1449-3 .
- as editor with Ulrich Zimmermann: Forays through the early high cultures. A historical reading book (= Beck'sche Reihe. 1046). Beck, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-406-37436-0 .
- as editor with Ulrich Zimmermann: Mining archeology in Europe. Reports on the International Colloquium "Early Ore Production and Smelting in Europe" in Freiburg im Breisgau from October 4th to 7th, 1990 (= Archeology and History. Vol. 4). Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1993, ISBN 3-7995-7354-2 .
- as editor with Ulrich Zimmermann: Alter Bergbau in Deutschland (= Archeology in Germany . Special issue). Theiss, Stuttgart 1993, ISBN 3-8062-1066-7 .
- The Alemanni on the Zähringer Burgberg (= archaeological information from Baden-Württemberg. H. 13). Society for Pre- and Early History in Württemberg and Hohenzollern, Stuttgart 1990, ISBN 3-927714-05-4 .
- as editor: On the way of life in the city around 1200. Results of medieval archeology. Report on a colloquium in Cologne from January 31 to February 2, 1984 (= Journal for Archeology of the Middle Ages. Supplement. 4). Rheinland-Verlag et al., Cologne (ie: Pulheim) et al. 1986, ISBN 3-7927-0899-X .
- Early social structures in Central Europe. An analysis of the evaluation methods of the archaeological source material (= treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, No. 128). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1982, ISBN 3-525-82407-6 (also: Bochum, Universität, habilitation paper, 1979).
- The southern settlement of Haithabu. Studies on early medieval ceramics in the North Sea coast area and in Schleswig-Holstein (= The excavations in Haithabu. Vol. 6, ). Wachholtz, Neumünster 1974 (at the same time: Göttingen, University, dissertation, 1973).
Magazines and Series (Editor)
- with Sebastian Brather and Ulrich Müller: Journal for Archeology of the Middle Ages. ZAM (since 1972), .
- with Hans Ulrich Nuber and Thomas Zotz : Archeology and History. Freiburg research on the first millennium in southwest Germany. since 1986, .
- with Heinrich Beck and Dieter Geuenich: Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde. 2nd, completely revised and greatly expanded edition. since 1994, Germanic antiquity online .
- with Hans Ulrich Nuber and Thomas Zotz: Freiburg contributions to archeology and history of the first millennium. since 1999, .
Festschrifts dedicated to Heiko Steuer
- Sebastian Brather, Christoph Huth, Dieter Geuenich (eds.): Historia archaeologica. Festschrift for Heiko Steuer on his 70th birthday (= Real Lexicon of Germanic Antiquities. Supplementary volumes. Vol. 70). de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2009, ISBN 978-3-11-022337-8 .
- Sebastian Brather, Christel Hoeper, Michael Hoeper (eds.): Archeology as social history. Studies on settlement, economy and society in prehistoric Central Europe. Festschrift for Heiko Steuer on his 60th birthday (= international archeology. Studia honoraria. Vol. 9). Leidorf, Rahden / Westf. 1999, ISBN 3-89646-389-6 .
- Literature by and about Heiko Steuer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Scientific résumé , accessed July 28, 2013
- Detailed list of publications , accessed on July 28, 2013
- Publications by Heiko Steuer in the OPAC of the Regesta imperii
- The southern settlement of Haithabu. Studies of early medieval ceramics in the North Sea coast area and in Schleswig-Holstein. 1974.
- Prehistoric social structures in Central Europe. An analysis of the methods of evaluation of the archaeological source material. 1982.
- Scales and weights from medieval Schleswig. Finds from the 11th to 13th centuries from Europe as sources for trade and currency history. 1997.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 30, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Braunschweig|