Helmut Castritius studied Latin Philology, History and Provincial Roman Archeology. He received his doctorate in 1968 at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main on the subject of studies on Maximinus Daia . From 1966 to 1972 he worked as an assistant at the University of Marburg . At the same time he took on a teaching position at the Technical University of Darmstadt . In 1972 he moved to the University of Düsseldorf in the same capacity , and in 1973 as an Academic Councilor at the University of Bochum , where he was appointed Academic Senior Councilor in 1974. He achieved his habilitation there with the writingThe Roman Principate as a Republic ; The work was published in 1982 and made in the professional world for as much attention as rejection, since the vast majority of researchers, the core thesis is Augustus did the Roman republic not only de jure but also de facto restored disliked connect.
From 1974 Castritius worked as a scientific advisor and professor (from 1978: C3 professor) for ancient history at the TU Braunschweig . In 2004 he retired; the professorship for Ancient History was removed from the budget and not filled again. Castritius was an active member of the Breuberg Association and researched there, among other things, the Arnheiter Chapel and Roman finds from the Odenwald . He also worked for many years on the Darmstadt Heritage Advisory Board.
Helmut Castritius died on September 12, 2019 at the age of 78 after a brief, serious illness. He was buried on September 23, 2019 in the Arheilger Friedhof .
- The Roman Principate as a Republic (= historical studies. H. 439). Matthiesen, Husum 1982, ISBN 3-7868-1439-2 .
- as editor with Gustav Ineichen and Silvia Switalski: Karl-Hermann Körner : "Columbus and the Caribbean". With an appraisal of the person and academic achievement as well as a list of publications (= Braunschweiger Universitätsreden. 6, ). Technical University of Braunschweig - Press Office, Braunschweig 1993.
- The vandals. Stages of a search for traces (= Kohlhammer-Urban pocket books. Vol. 605). Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-17-018870-9 ( review by H-Soz-u-Kult ; Plekos ; PDF; 70 kB).
- Numerous articles in the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde .
- Kürschner's German Scholar's Calendar. 21st edition, 2007, p. 506.
- Literature by and about Helmut Castritius in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Helmut Castritius at the Technical University of Braunschweig
- Annette Wannemacher Hall. In: Darmstädter Echo, Wednesday, September 18, 2019, p. 11.
- Darmstädter Echo, Monday, September 23, 2019, p. 14.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th July 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Darmstadt|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 12, 2019|