Harnisch learned the trade of carpenter. In 1905 he became a member of the SPD. From 1919 he was a union member of the German Woodworkers' Association. In 1920 Harnisch became district chairman of the SPD (until 1933) and head of the district assembly (until 1921) in the Neukölln district . From 1924 to 1932 he was a member of the Prussian state parliament as a member of the SPD , and from 1923 to 1925 and in 1929 and 1933 a member of the Berlin-Neukölln city council.
After the takeover of the Nazis in January 1933 Harnisch was arrested. In December 1939, he spent several weeks in the basement of the Gestapo in the Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse and was interrogated daily. In 1944 he was imprisoned together with Max Fechner in Sachsenhausen concentration camp .
On June 15, 1945, Harnisch took part in the constitution of the central committee of the SPD headed by Otto Grotewohl and was one of the signatories of the call for the re-establishment of the SPD. At the 1st state party conference of the SPD on November 25, 1945, he was elected chairman of the Berlin SPD . From January to October 1946, Harnisch was district mayor of Berlin-Neukölln.
Harnisch was one of the supporters of the union of the SPD and KPD . In 1946 he declared his transfer to the SED and became a member of the SED state executive. In August 1948 he returned to the SPD because of the increasing Stalinization of the SED.
- Active Museum Association: In Front of the Door - Berlin City Councilors and Magistrate Members Persecuted During National Socialism 1933–1945 , Berlin 2006, ISBN 978-3-00-018931-9 , page 215.
- Martin Broszat , Gerhard Braas, Hermann Weber [eds.]: SBZ manual. State administrations, parties, social organizations and their executives in the Soviet occupation zone of Germany 1945–1949. Oldenbourg, Munich 1993 (2nd edition), ISBN 3486552627 .
- Norbert Podewin and Manfred Teresiak: "Brothers, hands in one now ..." The pros and cons of the Unity Party in Berlin. Dietz, Berlin 1996, ISBN 3-3200-1917-1 .
- Hans-Rainer Sandvoss : Resistance in Neukölln , issue 4 of the series of publications on the resistance in Berlin 1933 to 1945, Berlin 1990, .
- Ditmar Staffelt : The Reconstruction of Berlin Social Democracy 1945/46 and the Unification Question - a contribution to the post-war history of the lower and middle organizational structures of the SPD , Verlag Peter Lang 1986, ISBN 978-3-8204-9176-0 , page 430.
- SBZ manual p. 921.
- Landesverwaltungsamt Berlin, compensation authority, PRV file 12016, p. A15. After: Ingrid Fricke: Biography of Franz Künstler in the Internet exhibition "The political prisoners of the Oranienburg concentration camp" , accessed on March 29, 2012.
- Rudi Becker: Dear Comrade Max - Rise and fall of the first Justice Minister of the GDR Max Fechner. Berliner Wissenschafts-Verlag, Berlin 2010, ISBN 9783830501497 , p. 59.
- Chronicle of the Berlin SPD
- SPD Berlin - remembrance of the SPD re-establishment and forced unification
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD, SED)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 1, 1883|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Teuchern|
|DATE OF DEATH||19th February 1951|
|Place of death||Berlin|