from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The enrollment or enrollment at a university today is the prerequisite to be allowed to use a German university to the facilities. This includes participation in courses and university exams as well as the use of the libraries. With the entry in the matriculation (master role), the university administration causes a person to be accepted as a student and member of the university. The university used to have its own citizenship, and enrollment also involved a change of jurisdiction; from the jurisdiction of the hometown to the jurisdiction of the university. Enrollment takes place at the student office or the enrollment office of a university, the student is then listed in the university registry. In Austria, in addition to one-time admission to the course (matriculation), enrollment for the respective course of study is required for each semester .

Opposite: De-registration - leaving the university (in the past you lost your university citizenship as a result).


In order to be able to enroll at a university in Germany, it is a prerequisite that there are no obstacles to enrollment, e.g. a. a university entrance qualification is required; those who do not have a university entrance qualification can be admitted as a guest auditor . The university can even allow particularly gifted students to take part in courses and examinations before they begin their studies (the periods of study and the examinations achieved are recognized on request). The procedure for enrollment, re-registration, leave of absence, de-registration and admission as a guest auditor and part-time student, including the deadlines and retention periods for documents that are important for evidence of a degree or an examination, is used in most of the federal states Germany regulated by ordinance.

Anyone who intends to undertake an undergraduate degree (with a few exceptions, this is a degree that leads to a first professional qualification) must have a university entrance qualification.

Proof of a general university entrance qualification is:

  • The general higher education entrance qualification (entitles to study all subjects),
    a qualification corresponding to the general university entrance qualification also has those who have successfully completed a university degree or an accredited bachelor's degree at a state or state-recognized vocational academy without having the general university entrance qualification;
  • The subject-related higher education entrance qualification (entitles to study in the corresponding subject at all universities),
    a qualification corresponding to the subject-specific higher education entrance qualification is also available to anyone who has completed the basic study in a university of applied sciences course, a graded course at a university or a comparable course of study;
  • the advanced technical college entrance qualification (entitles to study at a technical college or in a tiered course at a university or the Geisenheim University of Applied Sciences);
  • the master craftsman's examination (entitles to study all subjects) or
  • Qualifications comparable to the master craftsman's examination (they are acquired through qualifications for professional advancement training, e.g. advanced training qualifications, according to Sections 53 and 54 of the Vocational Training Act or Sections 42 and 42a of the Crafts Code, provided the courses have at least 400 hours; for professions in nautical and health care and social care or socio-educational professions; tax consultants, auditors; they are general university entrance qualifications) entitle to study in all subjects.

Have proof of a subject-specific university entrance qualification:

  • Graduates from administrative and business academies who provide evidence of completed professional training, as well as
  • Graduates from a one-year course at the European Academy of Labor at the University of Frankfurt am Main and
  • Professionally qualified persons through a university entrance examination for certain fields of study, e.g. B. in Hessen: 1. Linguistics and cultural studies, 2. History, 3. Theology, religious studies, philosophy, 4. Law and economics including business education, 5. Social and social sciences including social work, 6. Education, courses of study for the Teaching at primary schools, teaching at secondary schools and secondary schools as well as teaching at special schools, 7. Nursing, health and therapeutic sciences, 8. Architecture, construction, 9. Engineering, 10. Mathematics and natural sciences including geography and computer science, 11. Agricultural and environmental sciences, ecotrophology, 12th medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, human biology, pharmacy, 13th psychology and 14th sport.

In all the federal states of the Federal Republic of Germany, there are similar regulations that enable studying without a successful Abitur examination .

In Austria and Switzerland are required for admission to study a Matura (a high school degree) or those with a university entrance, university entrance exam is acquired.


The universities sometimes require different documents and evidence that must be presented when you enroll. These can be:

  • valid identity card , passport or equivalent proof of identity and proof of nationality
  • The university entrance qualification: Abitur, proof of technical college entrance qualification (Germany), secondary school leaving certificate and final certificate of the last school year (Austria)
  • proof of health insurance (Germany)
  • proof that the social security contribution has been paid (Germany)
  • When enrolling for subjects with restricted admission: The letter of admission, see Numerus clausus (Germany)
  • For foreign students: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German (or respective national) language, Austria in addition: Proof of fulfillment of all requirements that are required in addition to the high-school diploma in the country in which the school-leaving certificate was issued for the selected course of study
  • In the event of a change of university: proof of de-registration from the university last attended, i.e. certificate of leaving including study book and ID from this university
  • For subjects with aptitude test (e.g. sport, art, music, architecture, design): Proof of the successfully passed aptitude test
  • possibly a certificate of good conduct , which must be applied for in good time at the Citizens Registration Office, or proof of the application made (Germany)
  • one or more passport photos (e.g. for student ID and study book )


Advice for starting a university course

See also

Web links

Wiktionary: Enrollment  - explanations of meanings, word origins, synonyms, translations
Wiktionary: Matriculation  - explanations of meanings, word origins, synonyms, translations

Individual evidence

  1. in Hessen z. B .: Ordinance on the procedure for enrollment, re-registration, leave of absence and de-registration, studying as a guest student, part-time study and the processing of personal data of students at the universities of the State of Hesse (Hessian Enrollment Ordinance) of February 24, 2010; GVBl. I 2010, 94
  2. § 2 Paragraph 1 Ordinance on Access for Vocationally Qualified Persons to Universities in the State of Hesse of July 7, 2010 , GVBl. I 2010, 238