International Union of Railways
|International Union of Railways
|founding||October 17, 1922
|executive Director||Jean-Pierre Loubinoux|
|Branch||Delhi and Tehran|
The International Union of Railways ( French Union internationale des chemins de fer , UIC ) is an international association of railway companies , which it divides according to size and activity into active , associated and affiliated members.
The association was founded in Paris on October 17, 1922 to improve the conditions of the design and operation of railways for international traffic through standardization , and had 51 founding members from 29 countries, including China and Japan. It is the world-wide organization for the cooperation of the railways and its actions extend to all areas related to the development of rail transport . Other associations such as the Association of American Railroads (AAR) are also members of the UIC ; However, the AAR only as an Affiliate Member because it is neither a network operator nor a railway company.
The association is the working body of the State Treaty on Technical Unity in Railways (TE) of May 16, 1886. This State Treaty was not designed as a permanent body, but laid the foundations for uniformity in cross-border rail traffic. Only several European countries are involved in the TE, while the UIC is a worldwide railway association.
Various numbering systems have been created by the UIC , such as the UIC series scheme for locomotives , the UIC type designation system for passenger coaches , the UIC wagon numbers , the UIC country code and the Harmonized Goods Directory for Transport Goods (NHM).
The association issues information sheets (UIC code) and other publications. The standardized freight wagon types are listed in a table in the articles on open freight wagons , covered freight wagons , refrigerated wagons and flat wagons .
The UIC Euro Interlocking Project is developing an international standard for the planning of railway interlockings. As a flagship project , the UIC was the international research in 2007, hydrogen power and fuel cells together for railways.
- The worldwide association of cooperation for railway companies. (PDF; 5.63 MB) (No longer available online.) UIC, April 2010, archived from the original on May 26, 2012 ; accessed on May 9, 2014 .
- EXECUTIVE BOARD UIC . UIC. January 19, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- UIC statutes . 22nd edition. UIC, 2009, ISBN 978-2-7461-1668-9 ( uic.org [PDF; 270 kB ; accessed on May 9, 2014] German version).
- List of UIC members (Vademecum). UIC, accessed on July 14, 2020 .
- Rudolf Göbertshahn: integration of associations RIC and RIV in the UIC . In: The Federal Railroad . Vol. 57, No. x, 1981, , pp. 889-894.
- Final Conference in Brussels, on January 10th, 2008. In: HyRail, Hydrogen Railway Applications International Lighthouse. UIC, accessed on May 9, 2014 .