Jürgen Overhoff studied modern history , Protestant theology , philosophy and political science at the Free University of Berlin , the Technical University of Berlin and the London School of Economics and Political Science . He then went on to do a doctorate in Cambridge . The subject of his dissertation, supervised by Quentin Skinner , was the reception of Reformation theology in the writings of the philosopher Thomas Hobbes . It was primarily about Luther's doctrine of the bondage of the will, to which Hobbes, as a political theorist, then tried to make sense of it.
From 1998 Overhoff was a research associate, initially at the Institute for History at the Technical University of Berlin, then from autumn 1999 to 2007 at the Institute for Educational Science at the University of Potsdam . During this time, supported by Hanno Schmitt and Franklin Kopitzsch , he completed his habilitation on the early history of philanthropism , a topic in the history of education in the 18th century. As a private lecturer , he taught at the University of Hamburg . He then worked as a research assistant at the University of Regensburg , where he conducted research and publications on American and German federalism in the early modern period .
Since 2013 he has been Professor of Historical Educational Research at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster . Since 2014 he has headed the office for German-American educational history he founded there . Since 2018 he has also been President of the German Society for Research in the 18th Century . Overhoff has been a full member of the Historical Commission for Westphalia since 2019 .
- Hobbes 's Theory of the Will: Ideological Reasons and Historical Circumstances. Dissertation . Lanham 2000, ISBN 0-8476-9649-9 .
- The Early History of Philanthropism (1715–1771): Constitutional Conditions, Fields of Practice and Effect of an Educational Reform Program in the Age of Enlightenment. Habilitation thesis . Niemeyer, Tübingen 2004, ISBN 3-484-81026-2 .
- Benjamin Franklin : inventor, free spirit, state leader. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2006, ISBN 3-608-94134-7 ; also translated into Bulgarian: Bendžamin Franklin: otkrivatel, svobodoljubiv duch, dăržavnik. Sofia, Askoni-Izdat 2014, ISBN 978-9-5438-3074-9 .
- From the happiness of being able to learn: for a purpose-free education. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2009, ISBN 978-3-608-94171-5 .
- Frederick the Great and George Washington : Two Paths to Enlightenment . Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2011, 2nd edition 2012, ISBN 978-3-608-94647-5 .
- Johann Bernhard Basedow : Enlightener, educator, philanthropist - A biography (Hamburgische Lebensbilder; Vol. 25). Wallstein, Göttingen 2020, ISBN 978-3-8353-3619-3 .
- with Vanessa de Senarclens (ed.): To my spirit. Frederick the Great in his poetry. An anthology . Schöningh, Paderborn 2011, ISBN 978-3-506-77307-4 .
- with Vanessa de Senarclens (ed.): Works of the Philosophen von Sanssouci / Oeuvres du Philosophe de Sans-Souci. Trans. V. Hans W. Schumacher. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-05-006331-7 .
- as ed., with introduction and commentary: Charles-Louis de Montesquieu : Meine Reisen in Deutschland 1728–1729. With an afterword by Vanessa de Senarclens. Trans. V. Hans W. Schumacher. Cotta, Stuttgart 2014, ISBN 978-3-7681-9900-1 .
- with Anne Overbeck (Ed.): New Perspectives on German-American Educational History. Topics, trends, fields of research. Verlag Julius Klinkhardt, Bad Heilbrunn 2017, ISBN 978-3-7815-2138-4 .
- as ed., with introduction: William Penn : fruits of loneliness. Reflections and maxims on the art of living . Translated from the English by Joachim Kalka (Orig .: Fruits of Solitude , London 1726). Cotta, Stuttgart, 2018, ISBN 978-3-7681-9903-2 .
- with Andreas Oberdorf (ed.): Catholic Enlightenment in Europe and North America (The eighteenth century. Supplementa, Vol. 25). Wallstein Verlag, Göttingen 2019, ISBN 978-3-8353-3493-9 .
- with Hanno Schmitt (Ed.): Johann August Ephraim Goeze : With the stagecoach through the Mark Brandenburg to Reckahn . A small travelogue for the pleasure of young people from 1784 (Press and History - New Contributions, Vol. 136; Philanthropism and Popular Enlightenment - Studies and Documents, Vol. 18). Edition Lumière, Bremen 2019, ISBN 978-3-948077099 .
- Literature by and about Jürgen Overhoff in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Jürgen Overhoff at perlentaucher.de
- Jürgen Overhoff at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster
- Domradio: Interview with Jürgen Overhoff
- Jürgen Overhoff , Klett-Cotta Verlag , accessed on October 4, 2016.
- Jürgen Overhoff: Hobbes's Theory of the Will: Ideological Reasons and Historical Circumstances . Lanham 2000, ISBN 0-8476-9649-9 .
- Jürgen Overhoff: The early history of philanthropism (1715-1771): constitutional conditions, fields of practice and effect of an educational reform program in the age of the Enlightenment . Niemeyer, Tübingen 2004, ISBN 3-484-81026-2 .
- DFG project “The Early Modern German Empire as a Political Reference System of American Federalism in the Development Process of the USA (1751–1788)”. Retrieved October 4, 2016 .
- Professor Dr. Jürgen Overhoff , Institute for Educational Science at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster , accessed on October 4, 2016.
- Office for German-American Educational History. Retrieved October 26, 2016 .
- Board of DGEJ | DGEJ. Retrieved October 22, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lippstadt|