Jan Hendrik Oort
Oort studied at the University of Groningen . There he was a student of Jacobus C. Kapteyn . From 1924 he worked at the Leiden Observatory . From 1945 to 1970 he was a professor at the University of Leiden . At the same time he was also director of the Leiden observatory .
In 1927, Oort and his colleagues confirmed Bertil Lindblad's hypothesis about the rotation of our galaxy ( Milky Way ), which Immanuel Kant had first proposed in 1755, using Oort's rotation formulas . Oort located the Milky Way center 30,000 light years from Earth in the constellation Sagittarius ( Sagittarius ). He showed that the Milky Way has a mass of 100 billion solar masses .
In the 1950s, Oort postulated an area on the edge of the solar system known as the Oort cloud , from which the comets originate. Oort's theories on this have not yet been confirmed, but are widely accepted.
From 1958 to 1961 Oort was President of the International Astronomical Union .
In 1946 Oort was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , 1949 to the Royal Society of Edinburgh , 1953 to the National Academy of Sciences and 1957 to the American Philosophical Society . In 1973 Oort was elected a member of the Leopoldina . In 1955 he was elected a corresponding member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences and was accepted into the Académie des Sciences in Paris.
- 1942 Bruce Medal
- 1946 Gold Medal from the Royal Astronomical Society
- 1947 Jules Janssen Prize
- 1951 Henry Norris Russell Lectureship
- 1972 Karl Schwarzschild Medal of the Astronomical Society
- 1973 honorary member of the Leopoldina
- 1984 Balzan Prize for Astrophysics
- 1987 Kyoto Prize
- The asteroid (1691) Oort is named after Oort .
- In honor of Oort, the fountain "De Oortwolk" by Jean-Michel Othoniel was erected in front of the Martini church in 2018 as part of the cultural capital Leeuwarden / Friesland (LF2018) in Franeker .
- Pieter C. van der Kruit: Jan Hendrik Oort. Master of the Galactic System . Springer Nature, 2019. ISBN 978-3-030-17800-0
- JK Katgert-Merkelijn: The letters and papers of Jan Hendrik Oort, as archived in the University Library, Leiden . Dordrecht, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997. ISBN 0-7923-4542-8
- Publications by JH Oort in the Astrophysics Data System
- Obituaries for JH Oort in the Astrophysics Data System
- Bruce Medalist: Jan Hendrik Oort (Engl.)
- Obituary New York Times, November 12, 1992
- JAN OORT - ASTRONOMER, Exhibition University of Leiden 2000
- Book of Members 1780 – present, Chapter O. (PDF; 289 kB) In: American Academy of Arts and Sciences (amacad.org). Retrieved February 17, 2018 .
- Fellows Directory. Biographical Index: Former RSE Fellows 1783–2002. (PDF file) Royal Society of Edinburgh, accessed March 26, 2020 .
- Member History: Jan H. Oort. American Philosophical Society, accessed November 2, 2018 .
- Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 182.
- List of members since 1666: Letter O. Académie des sciences, accessed on January 29, 2020 (French).
|SURNAME||Oort, Jan Hendrik|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch astronomer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 28, 1900|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Franeker|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th November 1992|
|Place of death||Leiden (city)|