Jennifer Morgan (environmental activist)
Jennifer Morgan (born April 21, 1966 in Ridgewood , New Jersey ) is an American environmental activist specializing in climate change policy . Since 2016 she has been leading the environmental protection organization Greenpeace International together with Bunny McDiarmid .
Jennifer Morgan was born to a bank clerk and a nurse in Ridgewood , New Jersey , to three daughters. After school she studied political science and German from 1988 at Indiana University Bloomington . She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree. She then moved to the School of International Service at American University in Washington, DC , where she studied International Relations and earned a Master of Arts.
From 1994 to 1996, Morgan served as coordinator for the US section of the Climate Action Network . She then directed WWF ' s Global Climate Change Program from 1998 to 2006 . She then worked as Global Climate Change Director for the think tank E3G (Third Generation Environmentalism) from 2006 to 2009. This was followed by working as Global Director of the Climate Program at the World Resources Institute from 2009 to 2016 . Since April 2016 she has been in charge of Greenpeace International in the capacity of Executive Director together with Bunny McDiarmid.
In addition to these full-time tasks, Jennifer Morgan worked during the German EU Council Presidency in 2007 in the Advisory Board of the Federal Government under the direction of the climate researcher Hans Joachim Schellnhuber and has supported the initiative Breaking the Climate Deadlock of the former British Prime Minister Tony Blair since 2008 . She also worked as a review editor on a chapter of the IPCC's Fifth Assessment Report and was a member of the German government 's Council for Sustainable Development . From 2010 to 2017 she was a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and is an honorary member of Germanwatch .
On February 8, 2022, it was announced that she would be appointed to the Federal Foreign Office as Special Representative for International Climate Policy and later as State Secretary. In order to be employed as a state secretary, however, she still has to acquire German citizenship.
- Jennifer Morgan in the Munzinger archive ( start of article freely available)
- Short biography in the magazine of Greenpeace Switzerland
- Greenpeace International announces new Executive Directors Article on www.greenpeace.org on the appointment of Jennifer Morgan as Executive Director
- Portrait of Jennifer Morgan at www.greenpeace.org
- Biography of Jennifer Morgan at www.politico.com
- Beate Willms: Two women take over , article in the taz of January 15, 2016
- Interview on Deutsche Welle : Tacheles: Greenpeace boss Jennifer Morgan | Made in Germany, July 4, 2018
- Interview with Leeroy Matata : What's it like to be the head of Greenpeace International? , February 23, 2020
- Date and place of birth are taken from the entry in the Munzinger archive (online). The date of birth can also be found in the calendar page of the magazine Die Zeit , see http://www.zeit.de/news/2017-04/21/geschichte-kalenderblatt-2017-21-april-21000003 . Deviating from this, the online magazine https://www.greenpeace-magazin.ch stated Jennifer Morgan’s age as 50 in 2017. After that, a date of birth around 1966 would be possible.
- Stigson, Bjorn; Babu, Suresh P.; Bordewijk, Jeroen; O'Donnell, Pamela; Haavisto, Pekka; Morgan, Jennifer; Osborn, Derek: Peer Review on Sustainable Development Policies in Germany. Sustainable Development Council, November 2009, retrieved 8 February 2022 .
- Report of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research 2017 (pdf)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||US environmental activist and executive director of Greenpeace|
|BIRTH DATE||April 21, 1966|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ridgewood , NJ|