Jost Dülffer (born February 24, 1943 in Siegen ) is a German historian . He is a professor emeritus for modern history at the University of Cologne with a research focus on international relations.
Dülffer passed his Abitur in 1961 at the Stormarn School in Ahrensburg and studied history, Latin and political sciences as well as sociology at the universities in Hamburg and Freiburg between 1962 and 1969. He received his doctorate in 1972 and habilitated in 1979 at the University of Cologne. From 1972 to 1982 he was a research assistant at the chair of Andreas Hillgruber and from 1982 to 2008 he was professor of modern history (focus on international history / historical peace and conflict research) at the University of Cologne . His academic students include Jochen Böhler , Andreas Hilger , Ulrich S. Soénius and Guido Thiemeyer .
At times, he also held a teaching position at RWTH Aachen University and / or held a chair at Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich . In 2005/2006 he was Konrad Adenauer Visiting Professor at the BMW Center for German and European Studies, School for Foreign Service, Georgetown University , Washington DC
Since February 2011, he has been a member of the Independent Commission of Historians to research the history of the Federal Intelligence Service , its predecessor organizations and its personnel and impact profile from 1945 to 1968 and how to deal with this past . For this, see his report on the life of Walter Rauff, which continued in 1968 .
- Weimar, Hitler and the Navy. Reich policy and naval building 1920–1939 . With an appendix by Jürgen Rohwer . Droste, Düsseldorf 1973, ISBN 3-7700-0320-9 .
- with Jochen Thies and Josef Henke: Hitler's cities. Building policy in the Third Reich. A documentation . Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1978, ISBN 3-412-03477-0 .
- Rules against war ?. The Hague Peace Conferences in 1899 and 1907 in international politics . Ullstein 1981, ISBN 3-550-07942-7 (paperback 1984).
- with Hans-Otto Mühleisen and Vera Torunsky : Islands as focal points of international politics. Conflict Management in the Change of the International System 1890–1984: Crete, Corfu, Cyprus (= Library Science and Politics . Volume 35). Verlag Wissenschaft und Politik, Cologne 1986, ISBN 3-8046-8651-6 .
- German history 1933–1945. Faith in leadership and war of extermination. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart et al. 1992, ISBN 3-17-010323-7 (English edition: Nazi Germany. Faith and Annihilation. London 1996).
- with Martin Kröger and Rolf-Harald Wippich: Avoided Wars. De-escalation of conflicts between the great powers between the Crimean War and the First World War, 1865–1914 . Edited by the Military History Research Office . Oldenbourg, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-486-56276-2 .
- Yalta, February 4, 1945. The Second World War and the emergence of the bipolar world (= 20 days in the 20th century ). dtv, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-423-30606-8 (2nd edition 1999; Italian, Polish, Chinese 2000).
- Under the sign of violence. Peace and War in the 19th and 20th Centuries . Edited by Martin Kröger, Ulrich S. Soénius , Stefan Wunsch. Böhlau, Cologne 2003, ISBN 3-412-14702-8 .
- Europe in the East-West Conflict 1945–1991 (= Oldenbourg Outline of History . Volume 18). Oldenbourg, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-486-49105-9 .
- Making Peace: De-escalation and Peace Policy in the 20th Century . Edited by Marc Frey , Ulrich S. Soénius, Guido Thiemeyer . Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2008, ISBN 978-3-412-20117-3 .
- Secret service in crisis. The BND in the 1960s (= publications of the Independent Historical Commission for Research into the History of the Federal Intelligence Service 1945–1968, Volume 8). Ch.links, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-96289-005-6 .
- with Karl Holl : Ready for war. War mentality in Wilhelmine Germany 1890–1914. Contributions to historical peace research . Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1986, ISBN 3-525-36195-5 .
- with Bernd Martin and Günter Wollstein : Germany in Europe. Continuity and break. Commemorative letter for Andreas Hillgruber . Propylaen, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1990, ISBN 3-549-07654-1 .
- Parliamentary and Public Control of Armaments in Germany, 1700–1970. Contributions to historical peace research (= Droste pocket books history ). Published by the Military History Research Office and the Historical Peace Research Working Group, Droste. Düsseldorf 1992, ISBN 3-7700-0917-7 .
- with Hans Hübner: Otto von Bismarck. Person - Politics - Myth . Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1993, ISBN 3-05-002213-2 .
- Cologne in the 50s. Between tradition and modernization (= publications by the Cologne History Association . Volume 44). SH-Verlag, Cologne 2001, ISBN 3-89498-102-4 .
- with Gerd Krumeich : The lost peace. Politics and war culture after 1918 (= writings of the library for contemporary history . NF volume 15). Klartext-Verlag, Essen 2002, ISBN 3-89861-075-6 .
- with Robert Frank: Peace, war and gender from antiquity to the present. Cross-cultural perspectives (= peace and war . Volume 14). Klartext-Verlag, Essen 2009, ISBN 978-3-8375-0214-5 .
- with Margit Szöllösi-Janze : cast shadows on the "brown Cologne". The Nazi era and afterwards (= publications of the Cologne History Association . Volume 49). SHV-Verlag, Cologne 2010, ISBN 978-3-89498-202-7 .
- with Gottfried Niedhart : Peace through Democracy. Genesis, effect and criticism of an interpretation model (= peace and war . Volume 15). Klartext, Essen 2011, ISBN 978-3-8375-0401-9 .
- with Wilfried Loth : Dimensions of international history (= studies on international history . Volume 30). Oldenbourg, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-486-71260-5 .
- with Klaus-Dietmar Henke , Wolfgang Krieger , Rolf-Dieter Müller : Publications of the Independent Historical Commission for Research into the History of the Federal Intelligence Service 1945–1968 (11 volumes). Ch. Links Verlag, Berlin 2016–2019.
- Literature by and about Jost Dülffer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jost Dülffer's researcher profile at Clio-online
- Jost Dülffer on Historicum.net
- Contributions by Jost Dülffer in contemporary historical research
- Short biography and reviews of works by Jost Dülffer at perlentaucher.de
- Jost Dülffer at the University of Cologne
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 24, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wins|