Kaspar Hagen was born in Bregenz on Rathausstrasse (today Löwen-Apotheke). Kaspar Hagen's father was a boatman on Lake Constance and a mesmer in Bregenz in the Seekapelle. He began his professional career as a clerk in the Rentamt in Bregenz, but did not stay with it for long. At the age of 22, Hagen began further education at the grammar school in Feldkirch and Padua (1847) as well as in Görz , and in Görz he also passed the Matura in 1848 . He studied medicine in Munich , Prague and Vienna and received his doctorate in 1856. He then practiced in Hard for five years and then became a city doctor in Bregenz . While he traveled widely in his student days, he largely remained in Vorarlberg for the rest of his life .
Kaspar Hagen's written estate was destroyed in an air raid on Bregenz on May 1, 1945. He is said to have written more than 550 dialect poems.
- The well-known Alemannic folk song O Hoamatle was composed by him and is still recited today .
- Kaspar Hagen, Poems in Bregenz Dialect , JN Teutsch Verlag, Bregenz 1921. Reprint of the Bregenz 1921 edition by Verlag Lingenhöle, Bregenz 1972.
- Poems in Alemannic dialect from Vorarlberg . 1872. 2nd increased edition 1878. 2nd collection 1874. 3rd collection 1876.
- Kaspar Hagen 1820-1885 , Künstlerhaus Palais Thurn und Taxis Bregenz. December 14, 1970 - January 17, 1971.
- Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 2, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1959, p. 143. In:
- E. Allgäuer: Kaspar Hagen on his 100th birthday. In: home. Popular contributions to the culture and natural history of Vorarlberg, vol. 1, 1920, p. 82
- M. Bilgeri: Vorarlberg's literature and the state's share in German intellectual life. In: Heimatkunde von Vorarlberg, 1936, no. 10, p. 89
- W. Lingenhöle: History of Vorarlberg dialect poetry, Diss. Innsbruck, 1949, p. 43 ff.
- J. Mittelberger: Dr. Kaspar Hagen, the best folk poet in Vorarlberg. In: Vorarlberger Volkskalender, 1912, p. 18 ff.
- J. Mittelberger, From the estate of Kaspar Hagens. In: XVIII. Annual of the kk state gymnastics. in Bregenz, 1913
- Claudia Helbok: Important Vorarlbergers. 30 life pictures from a series (= Dornbirner Studiohefte. 2). ORF-Landesstudio Vorarlberg, Dornbirn 1967, p. 49 f.
- H. Sander: Voices of poets from Vorarlberg, 1895, p. 178
- F. Schön: History of German dialect poetry, 3rd part, 1931, p. 9
- A. Welte: From the Vorarlberg literature of the last hundred years. In: Alemannia, 1936, p. 140; A. Schwarz, Heimatkunde von Vorarlberg, 1949, p. 421f.
- E. Winder: Die Vorarlberger Dialectdichtung, 3rd part., V. In: 40th program of the kk Staatsgymn. in Innsbruck, 1889, p. 3 ff.
- Literature by and about Kaspar Hagen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Kaspar Hagen: Poems in Alemannic dialect from Vorarlberg online .
- The lake chapel was built in 1445 to commemorate the victory over the Appenzeller. 1698/99 rebuilt in baroque style by Kaspar Held according to the plans of Christian Thumb . The lake chapel is dedicated to St. George and Our Lady .
- ÖBL 1815–1950, Vol. 2 (Lfg. 7, 1958), p. 143.
- See: Kaspar Hagen: Poems in Alemannic dialect from Vorarlberg . 1872. 2nd increased edition 1878. 2nd collection 1874. 3rd collection 1876.
- See e.g. B. Choir recording Vienna, 1953 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hagen, Caspar|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian doctor and dialect poet (Alemannic)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 12, 1820|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bregenz|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 20, 1885|
|Place of death||Bregenz|