Lorenz Friedrich Beck (born January 4, 1969 in Potsdam-Babelsberg ; † December 21, 2013 in Potsdam ) was a German archivist , historian and paleographer .
Live and act
The son of the Potsdam archivist and historian Friedrich Beck followed in his father's footsteps. He studied archival science, history and German at the Humboldt University of Berlin and the Free University of Berlin and attended the Marburg archive school , which he successfully completed in 1999. In 1999 he presented at the Technical University of Berlin by Gerd Heinrich and Ernst Pitz supervised dissertation rule and territory of the Dukes of Saxe-Wittenberg (1212-1422) prior to which it Dr. phil. PhD. He worked as a scientific archivist at the Saxon Main State Archives in Dresden until 2006 and then took over as director of the archive of the Max Planck Society in Berlin.
Lorenz Beck was, among other things, a member of the Association of German Archivists , where he was particularly active in the working group “Filing of the 19th and 20th Centuries”. In the heraldic association HEROLD. Association for Heraldry, Genealogy and Related Sciences zu Berlin e. V. he was active as deputy chairman, where he particularly tried to deal with the historical auxiliary sciences . He led the German coat of arms as chairman of the herald's committee. As a deputy director he was also active in the State Historical Association for the Mark Brandenburg and was also a member of the Brandenburg Historical Commission .
He gave courses in, among other things, records at the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences and the Marburg Archive School. Along with his father, he was considered to be one of the best experts on classical palaeography in the German-speaking world.
Together with Marion Kazemi, Lorenz Beck was the editor of the publications founded by Eckart Henning from the archive of the Max Planck Society .
- with Friedrich Beck: The Latin script. Written certificates from the German-speaking area from the Middle Ages to the present day. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2007, ISBN 978-3-412-12506-6 .
- Peter Bahl: Lorenz Friedrich Beck. Regional history and historical auxiliary sciences. Selected essays. (= Series of publications of the Wilhelm Fraenger Institute Potsdam , Volume 14 = Individual publications of the Brandenburg State Main Archives. Volume XVI) Verlag für Berlin-Brandenburg, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-945256-56-5 .
- Peter Bahl : Obituary for Lorenz Beck (1969–2013). In: Yearbook for Brandenburg State History. 65 (2013), pp. 304-307.
- Klaus Neitmann : Lorenz Friedrich Beck (1969-2013). In: Yearbook for the History of Central and Eastern Germany . 61 (2015), p. 369 ff.
- Judith Matzke, Kristina Starkloff, Peter Wiegand: Lorenz Friedrich Beck †. In: Archivist . 67 (2014), pp. 220-221 ( online ).
- Literature by and about Lorenz Friedrich Beck in the catalog of the German National Library
- Holger Berwinkel: In memoriam Lorenz Beck
- Publications by Lorenz Friedrich Beck in the Opac der Regesta Imperii
- ^ Publications from the archive of the Max Planck Society. ( Memento from January 7, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Volume 20, 2008 (PDF; 80 kB).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Beck, Lorenz Friedrich|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German archivist and historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th January 1969|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Potsdam-Babelsberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 21, 2013|
|Place of death||Potsdam|