After attending the humanistic grammar school in Kiel , Manfred Wedemeyer studied economics at the university there, became a trainee for the Kieler Volkszeitung in 1954, graduated in 1955 and obtained his doctorate in 1957 in Innsbruck. rer. oec. He then worked as a lecturer at the University of Bremen and in a management profession in Munich. From 1971 to 1998 he headed the Klappholttal adult education center on Sylt, which has been named Akademie am Meer since 1976, and which he has given a completely new, modern orientation. One of his first major additional projects on Sylt was researching the bird's bunk in Kampen (Sylt) , for which he also worked as a bird warden. The results of his related studies appeared in 1974 under the title Die Vogelkoje Kampen ; he processed information from Knud Ahlborn for the publication .
Manfred Wedemeyer founded and edited the Sylter Contributions series , in which u. a. Walter Jens and Alfred Kantorowicz published. Most of his own numerous books and essays dealt with Sylt topics, which had always been preceded by extensive research. In several contributions he also examined uncomfortable issues such as the anti-Semitic currents on Sylt before and during the time of National Socialism. One of his most important works is the biography of the Sylt teacher and chronicler CP Hansen . Wedemeyer praised u. a. the writer Margarete Boie , who lived on Sylt in the 1920s and published a number of Sylt novels, with an extensive publication. As a member of the Rotary Club Sylt-Westerland (1998–1999 Governor of the District 1890) he researched the Rotarian post-war history and published the relevant basic work Den Menschen - 75 Years Rotary in Germany (2002), which also contains a chapter Thomas Mann as a Rotarian ( Pp. 50-61).
Through his lectures - especially in Schleswig-Holstein - Manfred Wedemeyer was able to round off his work around "adult education in the best sense" over several decades. The topics included, for example, Detlev von Liliencron - The Baron on Pegasus (Neumünster 1994), Theodor Storm's bridal letters to Segeberg - Why do the Levköjes smell so much nicer at night? (Bad Segeberg 1995), Franziska zu Reventlow , the 'great Countess' from Husum (Friedrichstadt 1996) and Klaus Groth on Fehmarn (Burg auf Fehmarn 1997). In 2000 Manfred Wedemeyer was honored with the C. P. Hansen Prize.
- Sylt literary history in one hour. An overview. Hansen & Hansen, Münsterdorf 1972.
- The Vogelkoje Kampen. A Sylt nature reserve. Boyens, Heide 1974.
- Westerland in old views. European Library, Zaltbommel 1976.
- Greetings from Sylt. Schleswig printing and publishing house, Schleswig 1977.
- with Sven Simon and Claus Jacobi : Sylt, adventure on an island. Hoffmann & Campe, Hamburg 1980.
- with Harald Voigt : Westerland. Bath and city through the ages. City of Westerland, Westerland 1980.
- Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg. Umschau-Verlag, Hamburg 1980.
- CP Hansen - The teacher from Sylt. A biography of the local historian and painter. Schleswig printing and publishing house, Schleswig 1982.
- The most beautiful legends of the island of Sylt. Pomp & Sobkowiak, Essen 1984.
- Fidus and Magnus Weidemann . An artist friendship 1920-1948. Kiel 1984.
- Owls, artists, little-known Sylt. Pomp & Sobkowiak, Essen 1986, ISBN 3-922693-62-8 .
- Greetings from Heligoland. A historical walk across the island with 100 postcards. Burchana Verlag, Borkum 1988.
- The Sylt photo pioneer Paul Ebe Nickelsen and his student Bernhard Lassen. City of Westerland, Westerland 1989.
- Bookplate by Magnus Weidemann. Cabaret in the book cover. Wittal, Wiesbaden 1990.
- Sylt book lexicon. Pomp, Essen 1991.
- Existence between the shifting dune and the sea: 700 years of List on Sylt. Municipality of List, List 1992.
- A short history of the island of Sylt. Pomp, Essen 1993.
- Small gallery of individualities. Bookplate by Rudolf Niess. Wittal, Wiesbaden 1995, ISBN 3-922835-24-4 .
- Sylt walks. Pomp, Bottrop 1997, ISBN 3-89355-147-6 .
- Committed to the people. 75 years of Rotary in Germany 1927-2002. Rotarian Publishing House, Hamburg 2002.
- Sylt Contributions - Series of publications by the Klappholttal Adult Education Center on Sylt . Hansen & Hansen, Münsterdorf 1971ff.
- Henry Koehn: Sylt. A guide through the island world. (5th edition) De Gruyter, Berlin 1975.
- Julius Rodenberg : Still life Sylt. A diary. (1876). Sänd Reprint, Vaduz 1972.
- Julius Rodenberg: Lost Islands. Sand and lake pictures. (1861). Sänd Reprint, Vaduz 1974.
- Jens Booysen : Description of the island of Silt in a geographical, statistical and historical perspective. (1828). Schleswig printing and publishing house, Schleswig 1976.
- Anton Heimreich: North Frisian Chronicle (1666/1668; 1819). 1982.
- Knud Ahlborn : Klappholttal. The idea of a youth camp. (1921). Sylter Druckerei Jueptner, Westerland 1989.
- Youths in Arcadia. 49 photographs by Wilhelm von Gloeden from the Christoph Niess collection. Klappholttal 1991.
- Margarete Boie. The poet of the island of Sylt. Profil, Munich 1997.
- Who is who? The German who's who. 47th edition 2008/2009.
- Schiller, Hartmut: Manfred Wedemeyer † . Nordfriesland 165, March 2009, p. 6.
- Die Vogelkoje Kampen, 1974, pages 60f; Preliminary information from Wedemeyers about the bird's bunk from 1972 in Jahrbuch f. Nature conservation and landscape management. , Vol. 21/1972 and Mitt. D. Zoolog. Society of 1858 , August / September 1972
- In addition to the work of writers, Wedemeyer also described the lives of the painters Siegward Sprotte and Magnus Weidemann, who had chosen the island of Sylt as their adopted home: http://www.nordfriiskinstituut.de/157.pdf , 2007, pp. 23-25 (accessed on October 24, 2011)
- Proof of the office of Rotary Governor: see https://www.welt.de/print-welt/article572802/Stafettenuebergabe-bei-den-norddeutschen-Rotariern.html (accessed on October 25, 2011)
- Hartmut Schiller characterized Wedemeyer's educational success as "popular education in the best sense"; see literature and http://www.nordfriiskinstituut.de/165.pdf (accessed on October 25, 2011)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer, economist and adult education center director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 2, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nortorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 24, 2009|
|Place of death||Morsum (Sylt)|