Azzola first learned to play the violin. He later studied accordion with Paul Saive and Attilio Bonhommi and, in the 1940s, with Médard Ferrero . At the age of twelve he was already playing concerts in Parisian cafés. In the 1950s he accompanied Yves Montand , Barbara , Georges Brassens , Édith Piaf , and Juliette Gréco and worked with Jacques Brel for several years . Since 1953 he has also recorded numerous pieces of dance music: Paso Dobles , Tangos , Boleros , Musettes , as well as chansons and adaptations of classical works.
In old age Azzola started a second career as a jazz musician a. a. with Stéphane Grappelli , Christian Escoudé , Dany Doriz and Toots Thielemans . He formed a trio with Patrice Caratini and Marc Fosset , worked with Richard Galliano and recorded with Stéphane Belmondo and Lina Bossatti . He also worked with Florin Niculescu and Jacques Vidal, and accordionists Marc Perrone and Marcel Loeffler .
- Les Grands Standards Vol. 1 and 2
- Music à la mode
- Vignola Réunion Trio (with Galliano and Antonello Salis ), 1991
- L'accordéoniste: Hommage à Edith Piaf , 1995
- Comme au bal , 2000
- Jazzola with Georges Arvanitas , Dany Doriz, Marc Fosset, Patricia Lebeugle , Richard Portier , 2002
- Les Meilleurs , 2002
- 3 temps pour bien faire with Patrice Caratini, Marc Fosset, 2005
- Marcel Azzola , 2006
- Adios muchachos , 2006
- Pierre Gervasoni: L'accordéoniste Marcel Azzola est mort à 91 ans . In: Le Monde . January 22, 2019 ( lemonde.fr ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French accordionist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 10, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paris|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 21, 2019|
|Place of death||Poissy|