The young Galliano took lessons in trombone , harmony and counterpoint at the Nice Music Academy . His father was an accordionist and Richard learned to play this instrument at an early age. In order to expand his repertoire, at the age of 14 he began to listen to jazz in a systematic and varied manner and to play it on his instrument.
In 1983 Astor invited Piazzolla Galliano to cast the first bandoneon part in Piazzolla's " Midsummer Night's Dream ". He advised him to abandon his “Americanist” style and to return to his French origins: “Create a ' Musette Neuve' style, as I invented Tango Nuevo .” Galliano followed this advice; He implemented the New Musette style in 1991 on the live recording of the same name, New Musette , which he recorded in a quartet with guitarist Philip Catherine , bassist Pierre Michelot and drummer Aldo Romano .
Galliano is now considered one of the great jazz accordionists. In addition to his own groups, he has worked with Juliette Gréco , Charles Aznavour , Ron Carter , Chet Baker , Enrico Rava , Martial Solal , Al Foster , Miroslav Vitouš , Trilok Gurtu , Jan Garbarek , Michel Petrucciani , Michel Portal , Jean Toots Thielemans , Biréli, among others Lagrène and Wynton Marsalis . In 2007 he recorded the album Mare Nostrum with Jan Lundgren and Paolo Fresu for the ACT label and played at the Jazz Baltica , Jazz in Marciac and Enjoy Jazz festivals .
His repertoire is made up of his own compositions (he describes, for example, the pieces Tango Pour Claude , Laurita , Sertao and Spleen as his "standards" ), interpretations of classical composers ( Johann Sebastian Bach , Antonio Vivaldi, Maurice Ravel , Peter Tschaikowski , Erik Satie ), Tango compositions (mainly Astor Piazzolla ), compositions by his fellow musicians and - somewhat less often - from jazz standards ( You Must Believe In Spring , Ruby My Dear , Spain ).
- Tangaria Quartet:
Richard Galliano (accordion, accordina), Alexis Cardenas (violin, sometimes represented by Sebastien Surel), Philippe Aerts (double bass), Rafael Meijas / Amoy Ribas (percussion), some with special guest Hamilton de Holanda (mandolin).
This was the formation in which Luz Negra and Live In Marciac were created . The quartet was named after the piece "Tangaria" (Tang stands for Tango and Aria for the inspiration from Johann Sebastian Bach for the compositions of Galliano).
- Richard Galliano Quartet (Love Day):
The album Love Day was recorded together with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Charlie Haden and Mino Cinelu . Drummer Cinelu is usually represented at concerts by Clarence Penn, Charlie Haden occasionally by George Mraz or Richard Bona .
- 1966: Trophée Mondial de l 'accordéon in Valencia in the “junior” category.
- 1967: Trophée Mondial de l 'accordéon in Calais in the “senior” category.
- 1992: Prix Django Reinhardt .
- 1997: Les Victoires du Jazz , for "New York Tango" as the best French album of the year
- 1998: Les Victoires du Jazz , for “Blow Up” (with Michel Portal ) as the best French album of the year
- 2011: Gold record in Germany, for 10,000 copies of Mare Nostrum sold
- 2014: An asteroid named after him: (121022) Galliano
- 1985: whimsy
- 1991: New Musette - with Philip Catherine , Pierre Michelot and Aldo Romano
- 1992: Blues sur Seine - with Jean-Charles Capon
- 1993: Viaggio - with Biréli Lagrène , Pierre Michelot and Charles Bellonzi
- 1995: Laurita - with Palle Danielsson , Joey Baron , Didier Lockwood , Michel Portal, Toots Thielemans
- 1996: New York Tango - with Biréli Lagrène, George Mraz and Al Foster
- 1996: Panamanhattan - with Ron Carter
- 1997: Blow Up - 1997 with Michel Portal
- 1998: French Touch - with Daniel Humair , Jean-François Jenny-Clark a . a.
- 2001: Gallianissimo - ( Best Of )
- 2001: Face to Face - with Eddy Louiss
- 2003: Piazzolla Forever (compositions by Piazzolla ) -
- 2004: Concerts - with Michel Portal
- 2006: Solo (compositions by Piazzolla ) -
- 2007: Luz Negra - with the Tangaria Quartet (see above )
- 2007: L'hymne à l'amour - with Gary Burton
- 2007: Mare Nostrum with Jan Lundgren and Paolo Fresu
- 2008: Love Day - Los Angeles Sessions - (specified above )
- 2009: Ten Years Ago - with the Brussels Jazz Orchestra
- 2010: Bach (compositions by Bach )
- 2013: Vivaldi - Universal
- 2014: Au Brésil - DoCD, Milan
- 2014: Sentimentale - Resonance Records
- 2019: Mare Nostrum III - with Paolo Fresu and Jan Lundgren
- 2019: The Tokyo Concert (solo)
- Richard Galliano's website
- ARTE about Galliano
- Klaus Mümpfer on Galliano
- Interview with the Neue Musikzeitung
- Richard Galliano at Discogs (English)
Individual references / comments
- Richard Galliano in the Swiss hit parade
- Official website ( Memento of the original from June 12, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Astor Piazzolla himself created Tango Nuevo after Nadia Boulanger had advised him to deal with the music of his homeland - the tango.
- Interview with the Neue Musikzeitung
- Live recordings of Galliano's concerts in Marciac were published on the albums Live In Marciac , Acoustic Trio: The Legendary Concert and From Billie Holiday to Edith Piaf (2009).
- 2007 Galliano, Gary Burton , Clarence Penn and Philippe Aerts performed at the University of Mannheim; In 2008 Galliano performed together with Gonzalo Rubalcaba , Charlie Haden and Clarence Penn at the Alte Feuerwache Mannheim, mainly with pieces from the album "Love Day". The SWR broadcast a recording of this concert in its "Jazz Masters" series.
- Jazz Dimensions
- JazzFest Berlin .
- 2008 Galliano performed with Rubalcaba, Haden and Penn at the Enjoy Jazz Festival.
- Winner of the Trophée Mondial de l 'accordéon ( Memento of the original of February 24, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French jazz accordionist and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 12, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cannes|