Aldo Romano [ ˈaldo romaˈno ], originally [ roˈmaːno ] (born January 16, 1941 in Belluno ) is an Italian jazz musician ( drums , also guitar, vocals).
Live and act
Romano, who grew up in France , began his career as a guitarist. It was not until the early 1960s that he switched to drums under the influence of Art Taylor and soon appeared in Parisian jazz clubs with musicians such as Bud Powell , Jackie McLean , Jay Jay Johnson , Stan Getz and Kenny Drew .
In 1964, like Jean-François Jenny-Clark, he joined the Free Jazz group of Bernard Vitet and François Tusques and subsequently worked a. a. with Don Cherry (in his group with Gato Barbieri and Karl Berger ), as well as with Kent Carter , Michel Portal and with Carla Bley , Steve Lacy and Enrico Rava . With Joachim Kühn , but also in the group Pork Pie , founded in 1974 with Jasper van't Hof , Charlie Mariano and Philip Catherine , he devoted himself to rock jazz . He also worked with Dexter Gordon , Jean-Luc Ponty , Phil Woods , Keith Jarrett and Steve Kuhn . In 1977 he took part with J.-F. Jenny-Clark in Italy published an album dedicated to Cesare Pavese , Divieto di santificazione .
Since 1980 Romano has performed more often with François Jeanneau , René Urtreger and Enrico Rava . Particularly noteworthy is the more than ten-year-old trio with Louis Sclavis and Henri Texier , which is also called Carnet De Routes after its first CD (1994) . In 2004 he received the highly endowed Jazzpar Prize ; the Aldo Romano Jazzpar Quintet + 1, founded especially for this occasion, with Stefano Di Battista , Mark Turner , Henrik Gunde Pedersen , Jesper Bodilsen and the singer Susi Hyldgaard , performed in three small Danish towns and at the final presentation of the Jazzpar Prize in Copenhagen. In the same year, the album Because of Bechet was created with Emmanuel Bex , Emanuele Cisi , Francesco Bearzatti , Rémi Vignolo and the sample and programming artist Naab . In 2015 he presented his autobiography under the title Ne joue pas, joue loin .
- Il Piacere , 1978 (with Michel Portal, Claude Barthélemy , J.-F. Jenny-Clark)
- Alma Latina , 1983 (with Philip Catherine, Benoît Widemann , Jean-Pierre Fouquey, Estelle Goubert, Sylvain Marc, Gilles Perrin, Dany Kane)
- Aldo Romano / Joe Lovano Ten Tales , 1989
- Corners , 1998 (with Mauro Negri , Ronnie Patterson, Tim Miller , Michel Benita )
- Aldo Romano, Stefano Di Battista , Nelson Veras , Palle Danielsson Intervista , 2001
- Romano, Benita , Fresu , Ferris Palatino , 2001
- Chante , 2006 (with Carla Bruni )
- Just Jazz , 2008 (with Géraldine Laurent , Henri Texier, Mauro Negri)
- Complete Communion to Don Cherry , 2010 (with Géraldine Laurent, Fabrizio Bosso , Henri Texier)
- Inner Smile , 2011 (with Enrico Rava, Baptiste Trotignon , Thomas Bramerie )
- La belle vie , 2019 (with Emmanuel Bex and Philip Catherine )
- Portrait ( jazzthing )
- Aldo Romano at Allmusic (English)
- Aldo Romano at Discogs (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 16, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Belluno , Italy|