Michel Portal (born November 27, 1935 in Bayonne ) is a French musician and composer who plays the clarinet , bass clarinet , various saxophones and bandoneon . As an "all-round musician who dances at many stylistic weddings" ( Ekkehard Jost ), he emerges both in jazz and as a classical soloist as well as with ensembles of new music. As a bass clarinetist, he provided important stylistic and technical impulses.
Live and act
Portal, who grew up with Basque folklore (his grandfather led a brass band ), learned the clarinet from the age of six. During his school days he was enthusiastic about jazz, but completed a classical training as a clarinetist . He completed his instrumental studies at the Paris Conservatory with a first prize in 1958. At the beginning of his musical career, Portal was committed to classical music and contemporary European concert music. From 1967 on he was a member of the Musique Vivante ensemble (including groundbreaking interpretations by Luciano Berio , Pierre Boulez and Karlheinz Stockhausen ).
He also devoted himself to popular music as an accompanist to Édith Piaf . Triggered by a concert by Dizzy Gillespies, he deepened his preference for jazz from the mid-1960s; he played bass clarinet and alto saxophone with Jef Gilson , François Tusques , Jean-Luc Ponty and André Hodeir, among others . The bandoneon was added later (first heard in Mauricio Kagel's Exotica ). Since the early 1970s he was one of the prominent representatives of French free jazz . With the composer and trombonist Vinko Globokar , Jean-Pierre Drouet and Carlos Roqué Alsina he co-founded the improvisation quartet New Phonic Art .
Portal expanded its musical understanding through international musical contacts. He continued the cooperation he had started with Joachim Kühn in the 1960s and also played with musicians such as Anthony Braxton , Jack DeJohnette , Daniel Humair , Barre Phillips , John Surman , Bernard Lubat , Dave Liebman , Nguyên Lê and Vernon Reid . He has worked in duos with the accordionist Richard Galliano and the pianist Martial Solal, and since 2009 with Yaron Herman .
- 1970: Hoa-Binh
- 1979: The mysterious sect (Écoute voir ...)
- 1979: The dogs (Les chiens)
- 1979: Fateful friendship (L'adoption)
- 1980: A sheet of love (Un page d'Amour)
- 1981: Marseille secret operation (L'ombre rouge)
- 1982: The return of Martin Guerre (Le retour de Martin Guerre)
- 1984: The Big Deal (L'ennemi public n ° 2)
- 1986: Max mon amour
- 1987: The Light (Yeelen)
- 1987: The Monk and the Witch (Le moine et la sorcière)
- 1988: The black Milan (Milan noir)
- 1988: A story about the wind (Une histoire de vent)
- 1988: prisoners (Prisonnières)
- 1988: Natalia
- 1988: Murder Sketches (En toute innocence)
- 1989: The train from Vienna (Le train de Vienne)
- 1989: Wild Children (Les enfants de desordre)
- 1989: The dead fish
- 1989: Inspector Lavardin: The devil in the city (Le diable en ville)
- 1990: The Black Angel (Angels)
- 1990: Aventure de Catherine C.
- 1990: Dr. Petiot
- 1992 fear (La peur)
- 1992 Casanova's return (Le retour de Casanova)
- 1992: The new one (Poulets à l'amende)
- 1993: Tomorrow (Pour demain)
- 1994: The machine (La machine)
- 1994: Eugénie Grandet
- 1996: The beautiful summer (Le bel été 1914)
- 1997: Buud Yam
- 1998: Monsieur Mobbing (De gré ou de force)
- 1998: The Nightmare Night (Un fait divers)
- 1999: C'est quoi la vie?
- 2000: The Uninvited Guest (La dette)
- 2000: Aïe
- 2000: Passionnément
- 2002: A Long Road to Freedom (L'enfant des lumières)
- 2002: It's all because of Benjamin! (À cause d'un garçon)
- 2003: A Child of Our Time (Un fils de notre temps)
- 2005: The factory is on fire (Jusqu'au bout)
- 2006: Under the spell of the South Seas (Les aventuriers des mers du Sud)
- 2010: Nylons and cigarettes (Cigarettes et bas nylon)
Prizes and awards
- 1959 Conservatoire Supérieur de Paris
- 1963 Concours International de Genève et du Jubilé Suisse
- 1968 Prix Django Reinhardt .
- 1983 Grand Prix International de la Musique
- 1966 André Hodeir: Anna Livia Plurabelle
- 1969 Our Meanings and Our Feelings ; Karlheinz Stockhausen: From the seven days
- 1970 Alan Silva and the Celestrial Communication Orchestra: Seasons ; Mauricio Kagel: Exotica
- 1971 Splendid Yzlment ; New Phonic Art
- 1972 Michel Portal Unit: A Chateauvallon - No, No But It May Be (with Bernard Vitet , Beb Guérin , Léon Francioli , Pierre Favre , Tamia )
- 1974/81 L'ombre rouge (with Louis Sclavis , Christian Escoudé , Joseph Dejean , Claude Barthélémy , Daniel Humair and others)
- 1976 Chateauvallon '76 (with Léon Francioli, Beb Guérin, Bernard Lubat)
- 1979 Dejarmé Solo (solo)
- 1987 Turbulence (with Harry Pepl , Andy Emler , André Cecarelli and others); Men's land
- 1988 Portal / Kühn / Humair / Solal / Jenny-Clark / Ducret: 9-11 PM Town Hall (only on three tracks)
- 1991/92 Any way
- 1994/95 Musiques de Cinemas (with Juan José Mosalini , Doudou N'Diaye Rose , Ralph Towner and others)
- 1995 Michel Portal - Richard Galliano: Live
- 1997 Dockings (with Markus Stockhausen , Bojan Zulfikarpašić , Bruno Chevillon , Steve Swallow , Joey Baron )
- 2000 Michel Portal / Steven Kent / Mino Cinelu : Burundi
- 2001/02 Minneapolis We Insist!
- 2004 Michel Portal - Richard Galliano: Concerts
- 2006 Birdwatcher (with Airto , Tony Hymas , Tony Malaby , François Moutin and others)
- 2017 Michel Portal & Quatuor Ebene: Eternal Stories (Erato Records), with Richard Héry , Xavier Tribolet , Quatuor Ébène string quartet
“(When asked what the difference between jazz and new music is for him :)“ When I play new music, I live in a good hotel. ““
“ I don't want to be a Stan Getz who takes three slaves to accompany him - very well, of course. I want to make music with guys who get along, who play. "
“ Jazz gives me the only opportunity to be free, to float, to dream. "
- Wolf Kampmann (Ed.), With the assistance of Ekkehard Jost : Reclams Jazzlexikon . Reclam, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5 .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 2: M – Z (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16513). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16513-9 .
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz. 1800 bands and artists from the beginning until today. 2nd, expanded and updated edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2004, ISBN 3-476-01892-X , p. 547.
- Overall discography ( Memento from November 14, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Michel Portal at Discogs (English)
- cit. n. Kunzler Jazz Lexicon
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French bass clarinetist, bandoneonist and jazz composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 27, 1935|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bayonne , France|