Matthäus Heil (born November 26, 1960 in Bamberg ) is a German ancient historian .
After graduating from high school, Matthäus Heil studied German and history for teaching in Würzburg, and since 1987 he has been a research assistant at the Department of Ancient History at the Philipps University of Marburg . After studying Greek philology, he was in 1992 in Würzburg with the theme Oriental foreign policy of the Emperor Nero doctorate .
Since 1993 he has worked at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences , initially focusing on Prosopographia Imperii Romani (PIR); from 2003 to 2006 he was head of the PIR. From 2006 to 2011 he was on leave to teach ancient history at the TU Berlin. From 2013 to 2018 he worked for the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) and has been with the Inscriptiones Graecae since 2018 .
He completed his habilitation in 2005 at the Technical University of Berlin , where he was a visiting professor for ancient history from 2006 to 2011 . Since 2012 he has been an honorary professor at the Free University of Berlin .
The main focus of Matthäus Heil's work is the Roman Empire , prosopography and epigraphy .
- The oriental foreign policy of the emperor Nero. (= Sources and research on the ancient world. 26). Munich 1997, ISBN 3-88073-551-4 (= Diss. Würzburg 1992).
- as co-author: Prosopographia Imperii Romani. Volume VI – VIII, Berlin et al. 1998–2015.
- Severus Alexander and Orbiana. An imperial marriage. In: Journal of Papyrology and Epigraphy . Volume 135, 2001, pp. 233-248.
- On the Date of the Title Britannicus Maximus of Septimius Severus and his Sons. In: Britannia . Volume 34, 2003, pp. 268-271.
- with Werner Eck (ed.): Senatores populi Romani. Reality and media presentation of a management class. (= HAVE. 40). Stuttgart 2005, ISBN 3-515-08684-6 .
- The Senate. and the knighthood. In: Klaus-Peter Johne et al. (Ed.): The time of the soldiers emperors. Crisis and transformation of the Roman Empire in the 3rd century AD Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-05-004529-0 , pp. 715–736, 737–763.
- The anniversary celebrations of the Roman emperors. In: Hans Beck , Hans-Ulrich Wiemer (Ed.): Celebrating and remembering. Images of history in the mirror of ancient festivals. Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-938032-34-3 , pp. 167-202.
- with Werner Eck , Peter Funke in connection with Marcus Dohnicht, Klaus Hallof and Manfred G. Schmidt (eds.): Public - Monument - Text. XIV Congressus Internationalis Epigraphiae Graecae et Latinae, August 27th - 31st MMXII. Files. (= CIL Auctarium). Berlin / Boston 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-037496-4 .
- with Dietmar Kienast and Werner Eck : Roman Imperial Table. Basic features of a Roman imperial chronology (6th revised edition), Darmstadt 2017, ISBN 978-3-534-26724-8
- Literature by and about Matthäus Heil in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page at the Free University of Berlin
- Page of the PIR at the BBAW
- IG website at BBAW
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 26, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bamberg|