Minnesota State University, Mankato
|Minnesota State University, Mankato|
|place||Mankato , Minnesota|
|Annual budget||$ 210 million|
The Minnesota State University , is a university in Mankato , Minnesota . With 14,700 students, it is the third largest college in Minnesota and is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System .
In 1868 the Mankato Normal School was founded, which was attended by 27 students and trained teachers for elementary schools and later also for high schools . In 1921 the Normal School was converted into the Mankato State Teachers College , which initially offered two to three-year and from 1939 also four-year study programs. The first master’s degrees were awarded in 1954 . In 1956, more than 3,000 students studied at the university for the first time. In 1957 the college became Mankato State College , in 1975 Mankato State University . At that time, the total number of students reached 14,000. In 1999 the university was named Minnesota State University, Mankato .
Today six faculties offer more than 150 undergraduate programs and 100 graduate programs. There are currently approximately 14,700 students enrolled, divided into approximately 12,800 undergraduate students, approximately 1,800 graduate students and 130 doctoral students . A total of almost 500 students come from abroad.
The university's sports teams are called Mavericks and compete in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference within NCAA Division II . The ice hockey teams represented in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (Division I) are an exception . The colors are purple and gold, the mascot is called Stomper .
The Minnesota Vikings have been completing their summer training camp on the MSU campus for many years .
- David Backes (* 1984), ice hockey player
- Teodors Bļugers (* 1994), Latvian ice hockey player
- Ryan Carter (born 1983), ice hockey player
- Dennis J. Hejlik , Lieutenant General of the US Marine Corps
- Tim Jackman (born 1981), ice hockey player
- Jonathon Kalinski (* 1987), ice hockey player
- Marc Michaelis (* 1995), German ice hockey player
- Melissa Peterman (born 1971), actress
- Tyler Pitlick (born 1991), ice hockey player
- Grant Stevenson (born 1981), ice hockey player
- Adam Thielen (* 1990), American football player
- Parker Tuomie (* 1995), American-German ice hockey player