A music prize is an award given in the field of compositional and performing music . This includes both prizes awarded by independent juries or foundations, as well as those whose winners have been decided on the basis of a previous competition (see music competition , composition competition ).
The internationally important music awards include:
- the Ernst von Siemens Music Prize
- the Bremen Music Festival Prize
- the Hindemith Prize
- the Birgit Nilsson Prize
- the Polar Music Prize
- the Léonie Sonning Music Prize
- the Wihuri Sibelius Prize
- the music prize of the Praemium Imperiale
- the music prize of the Kyoto Prize
- the Herbert von Karajan Music Prize
- the Mauricio Kagel Music Prize of the Kunststiftung NRW (since 2011)
- the Grammy Awards ("Grammy")
- the TONALi
- the Brit Awards
- the John Lennon Talent Award
- the German Record Critics' Award, which is awarded by independent critics as well
- the ECHO , which emerged from the German Record Prize (1963–1992).
The candidates for more significant prizes are usually determined through a nomination process , while sponsorship prizes for younger and up-and-coming musicians usually require an application .
Well-known or relatively highly endowed music prizes are, in addition to the ones mentioned above, the various award ceremonies from regional authorities (states, cities) and festivals - for example in the field of classical and jazz prizes - and from numerous broadcasters such as WDR , ORF or SWF and the music channel MTV . For the latter, the MTV Video Music Awards and their European counterpart, the MTV Europe Music Awards, should be mentioned in particular .
In addition to these most famous music awards, there are a number of other music awards in Germany . These include, for example, the golden tuning fork , the Praetorius Lower Saxony Music Prize or the Comet , which is awarded by the music channel VIVA .
On the other hand, a “ gold record ” is not referred to as a “music prize”, but merely as an honor for a certain number of records sold. However, some music awards also include related categories such as “Record of the Year” or “ CD of the Year”.
An “ Oscar ” for the best film music or the best film song is also classified less as a music award but more as a film award .
The guidelines for awarding music prizes vary widely. There are juries that select the winners from a number of previously nominated artists, as well as their own application, and also prizes for which the pure sales figures lead to an award. As a rule, the winners of the music broadcasters' prizes are determined by a (telephone or web) vote by the audience .
- Arnold Jacobshagen: Music competitions, prizes and grants , German Music Information Center 2011 ( full text ; PDF; 225 kB)
- Rudolf Flotzinger : Prizes / Prize Winners. In: Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon . Online edition, Vienna 2002 ff., ISBN 3-7001-3077-5 ; Print edition: Volume 4, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 2005, ISBN 3-7001-3046-5 .