Parliamentary election in Serbia 2008
On May 11th, 2008 the early parliamentary elections took place in Serbia .
After Kosovo's declaration of independence on February 17, 2008 and the subsequent recognition by several EU states, there were profound differences of opinion among the coalition partners of the government about the further course of rapprochement with the European Union . The government under Prime Minister Vojislav Koštunica therefore proposed to the President on March 10, 2008 that parliament be dissolved. President Boris Tadić then ordered the dissolution of the parliament on March 13, 2008 as proposed and at the same time announced new elections for May 11, 2008, on which the elections of the provincial parliament of Vojvodina and the local parliaments were already scheduled.
The Serbian citizens in Kosovo were also called to vote. Due to irregularities, the state election commission had the elections repeated in three polling stations on May 18. At the same time as the election of the state parliament ( Narodna Skupština ), there were also elections for the provincial parliament of Vojvodina as well as the municipal and some town councils.
The parliamentary seats were allocated according to proportional representation using the D'Hondt procedure . Only those lists of candidates were taken into account that received more than five percent of the total votes cast, with national minorities being excluded from the five percent threshold.
A total of 6,749,688 Serb citizens were eligible to vote. A total of 4,141,176 voters or around 61% took part in the election. In fact, 4,139,384 votes were cast. Of these, 88,148 (2.13%) were declared invalid and 4,051,236 were declared valid. Final result after counting the ballot papers from all polling stations:
- ^ Final results of the 2008 election ( Memento from June 9, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Article 82 of the Law on the Election of People's Deputies
- ↑ Article 81 of the Law on the Election of People's Deputies
- ↑ Final result of the parliamentary election 2008 ( Memento of June 9, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Percentage of votes cast that were found to be valid
- ↑ Distribution of the seats in accordance with the coalition agreement: DS (65), G17 + (24), SPO (4), DP Sandschak (4), League of Social Democrats of Vojvodina (5) ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Distribution of the seats in accordance with the coalition agreement: DSS (21), NS (9).
- ↑ Distribution of the seats in accordance with the coalition agreement: SPS (12), PUPS (5), JS (3) ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.