Reich Ministry of the Interior
The Reich Ministry of the Interior (RMI) was the interior ministry of the German Empire during the Weimar Republic and the time of National Socialism . On November 1, 1934, it was combined with the Prussian Ministry of the Interior to form the Reich and Prussian Ministry of the Interior . In particular, it was responsible for the entire police apparatus .
It was the successor to the Federal Chancellery of the North German Confederation from 1867, called the Reich Chancellery since 1871 , and the Reich Office of the Interior from 1879 as well as the predecessor of the Federal Ministry of the Interior . Since April 14, 1914, the Ministry of the Interior was also responsible for top-class sport as a national task.
The Federal Chancellery of the North German Confederation had been located at Wilhelmstrasse 74 since 1867. The Ministry, renamed the Reich Ministry of the Interior , moved in 1919 to Königsplatz in the Alsenviertel in the former General Staff building (today Platz der Republik ). In World War II destroyed the house was blown up in 1950 and 1951, vacated the property.
The official gazette of the Reich Ministry published for the purpose of public announcements was the Reichsministerialblatt (RMBl) from 1923 to 1945 . This was followed in this function by the Zentralblatt für das Deutsche Reich (ZBl), which was mainly published from 1873 to 1922 by the previous authority .
Incumbent from 1919
|Term of office||Surname||Party
|February 13 - June 20, 1919||Hugo Preuss||DDP|
|June 21 - October 3, 1919||Eduard David||SPD|
|October 3, 1919 - May 4, 1921||Erich Koch-Weser||DDP|
|May 10 - October 22, 1921||Georg Gradnauer||SPD|
|October 26, 1921 - November 14, 1922||Adolf Koester||SPD|
|November 22, 1922 - August 12, 1923||Rudolf Oeser||DDP|
|August 14 - November 3, 1923||Wilhelm Sollmann||SPD|
|November 11, 1923 - December 15, 1924||Karl Jarres||DVP|
|January 15 - October 1925||Martin Schiele||DNVP|
|October 23 - December 5, 1925||Otto Gessler provisionally||DDP|
|January 20 - December 17, 1926||Wilhelm Külz||DDP|
|December 29, 1927 - June 12, 1928||Walter von Keudell||DNVP|
|June 28, 1928 - March 27, 1930||Carl Severing||SPD|
|March 30, 1930 - October 7, 1931||Joseph Wirth||center|
|October 9, 1931 - May 30, 1932||Wilhelm Groener||independent|
|June 1 - November 17, 1932||Wilhelm Freiherr von Gayl||DNVP|
|December 3, 1932 - January 28, 1933||Franz Bracht||independent|
|January 30, 1933 - August 20, 1943||Wilhelm Frick||NSDAP|
|August 24, 1943 - April 29, 1945||Heinrich Himmler||NSDAP|
|April 30 - May 2, 1945||Paul Giesler||NSDAP|
|3rd - 23rd May 1945||Wilhelm Stuckart||NSDAP|
- Theodor Lewald (1919–1921)
- Heinrich Schulz (1919–1927, only head of the school department)
- Johann Michael Freiherr von Welser (1921–1923)
- Philipp Brugger (1921–1932)
- Erich Zweigert (1923–1933)
- Hans Pfundtner (1933–1943)
- Wilhelm Stuckart (1935–1945)
- Heinrich Himmler (Chief of the German Police, 1936–1943)
- Reich Office for German Immigration, Return Migration and Emigration
- Reich exchange office in the Reich Ministry of the Interior
- Stephan Lehnstaedt : The " total war " in the Reich Ministry of the Interior under Heinrich Himmler . In: The administration . Journal for Administrative Law and Administrative Sciences, Volume 39, 2006, pp. 393-420.
- Walter Strauss : The Reich Ministry of the Interior and the Jewish legislation. Notes from Doctor Bernhard Lösener . In: Vierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichte 9 (1961), issue 3, pp. 262–313; ifz-muenchen.de (PDF).
- Reich Ministry of the Interior . European Holocaust Research Infrastructure EHRI, accessed July 10, 2020.
- dhm.de on . 08/31/2016
- Arnd Krüger , Rolf Pfeiffer: Theodor Lewald and the instrumentalization of physical exercises and sport. Uwe Wick, Andreas Höfer (ed.): Willibald Gebhardt and his successors (= series of publications by the Willibald Gebhardt Institute , Volume 14). Meyer & Meyer, Aachen 2012, ISBN 978-3-89899-723-2 , pp. 120-145.
- Kathrin Chod, Herbert Schwenk, Hainer Weisspflug: Reich Chancellery . In: Hans-Jürgen Mende , Kurt Wernicke (ed.): Berliner Bezirkslexikon, Mitte . Luisenstadt educational association . Haude and Spener / Edition Luisenstadt, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-89542-111-1 ( luise-berlin.de - as of October 7, 2009).
- Helmut Zschocke: Mysterious Alsenviertel at the Federal Chancellery. Peter Lang-Verlag, 2017. Reading sample.
- Stephan Lehnstaedt : The Ministry of the Interior under Heinrich Himmler 1943-1945 . (PDF) In: Vierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichte , 2006, pp. 639–672.